Home » Audio » General » Audio in a Convertible
Audio in a Convertible [message #74183] Sat, 20 October 2012 08:38 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I love riding with the top down in my car. It's a real shame I can't also enjoy music when I do that. I blast the stereo so I can hear it over the wind whipping around but of course it's still harder to hear, especially at certain frequencies where the wind masks them a bit.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?
Re: Audio in a Convertible [message #74185 is a reply to message #74183] Sat, 20 October 2012 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sure, I know what you're talking about. The turbulence from wind noise is really, really loud. Most people don't realize just how loud it is, but after a long drive, you find that you can't hear anything when you stop and it's quiet. It's like being at a rock concert.

So now if you want to hear the sound system above that, it has to be even louder. Get some prosound drivers and amps with some power. That'll do it.

Re: Audio in a Convertible [message #74233 is a reply to message #74185] Tue, 23 October 2012 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That's true; sometimes people seem to think that loud white noise doesn't have the same effect on your hearing that other loud noises would.

I don't drive with the top down enough to invest in more powerful amps and speakers though, so I guess I will have to deal.
Re: Audio in a Convertible [message #74234 is a reply to message #74183] Tue, 23 October 2012 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audiot3ch is currently offline  audiot3ch
Chancellor
My first car was a 1996 Sebring convertible. I know the feeling of not being able to hear the music in the wind. If the top was on, the music was good and the bass was just right. All of that goes out the window when the top goes down.
Re: Audio in a Convertible [message #74287 is a reply to message #74183] Mon, 29 October 2012 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sunflower is currently offline  Sunflower
Chancellor
I can't offer any helpful suggestions for your problem, but I hope you find a solution because you really need some good music to make that top down driving experience perfect. I am more than a little envious.
Re: Audio in a Convertible [message #74293 is a reply to message #74183] Mon, 29 October 2012 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
So whatever happened to the days of listening to the car itself run?

Anyway, I never had your problem because I've never owned a convertible, but the first thing that came to mind when reading your post was "headphones".
Re: Audio in a Convertible [message #74306 is a reply to message #74183] Tue, 30 October 2012 20:01 Go to previous message
Equinom is currently offline  Equinom
Viscount
I have only ever been in a convertible once, and the top wasn't even down! What a bummer that was! However, I could imagine that hearing music over the wind could be quite the struggle. I am unsure if there really is a way to fix such a problem. Other than to put your top up!
Previous Topic: Visit to RMAF
Next Topic: Cheap/Free Podcasting Software?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:59:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio