Home » Audio » General » Rain on the Roof
Rain on the Roof [message #73866] Wed, 19 September 2012 09:01 Go to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
This house has a flat, membrane-topped roof instead of the traditional asphalt shingles, so the rain is much more audible. For the most part, I love it but it can be an issue whenever I want to record something or even watch tv.

Do you hear the rain a lot in your house or is it pretty well insulated?
Re: Rain on the Roof [message #73928 is a reply to message #73866] Mon, 24 September 2012 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That sounds nice but doesn't it get distracting? I think I'd like it sometimes and be annoyed other times. I don't hear the rain as clearly in my house.
Re: Rain on the Roof [message #73936 is a reply to message #73866] Mon, 24 September 2012 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damon73 is currently offline  Damon73
Baron
Thankfully our house is pretty well insulated, I'm not a huge fan of the sound of rain. When it's raining heavily you can hear the rain outside, and I don't mind that once in a while. I wouldn't like it to be loud on a regular basis though.
Re: Rain on the Roof [message #74014 is a reply to message #73928] Tue, 02 October 2012 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Nymeria, it can be a little annoying, I guess, when I watch TV. I have to turn the TV way up to hear it over the white noise of the falling rain. I do like hearing the rain otherwise, though.
Re: Rain on the Roof [message #74159 is a reply to message #73866] Wed, 17 October 2012 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audiot3ch is currently offline  audiot3ch
Chancellor
I absolutely love the sound of rain on the roof. It makes me feel comfortable for some reason. If the rain is too heavy, however, it gets too loud and becomes annoying.

I think lighter rain is always welcome especially with the state of our roof. Basically, we've owned our home for 12 years and need a new roof. There is a leak, so we tried using a special type of caulk in the attic to try to stop it. That didn't help too much, so now we have a bucket up there that we change monthly. Unfortunately we just don't have the money to get the roof replaced right now.
Re: Rain on the Roof [message #74162 is a reply to message #74159] Wed, 17 October 2012 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
That really sucks, audiot3ch. I hope you get the money to fix the roof soon, before it causes further damage to the structure. Was it Blackjack that you tried?
Re: Rain on the Roof [message #74224 is a reply to message #73866] Mon, 22 October 2012 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audiot3ch is currently offline  audiot3ch
Chancellor
It was indeed Blackjack. I am working to obtain the finances to fix it. I'm getting quotes in the thousands to fix it. I know it needs to be fixed, but it's just impossible to do without getting into a large amount of debt at the moment. However, the repair is going to come sooner than later.
Re: Rain on the Roof [message #74236 is a reply to message #73866] Tue, 23 October 2012 16:42 Go to previous message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, Blackjack will only last a little while. I'm sorry the necessary repair is coming at a bad time, but it's hard to avoid roof repairs being in the thousands.
Previous Topic: Enjoy the Music Audio Contest
Next Topic: How does an open door affect sound?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:30:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio