Home » Audio » General » How does an open door affect sound?
How does an open door affect sound? [message #74188] Sun, 21 October 2012 00:01 Go to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
I have a theater room that is 14 x 20'. It is a perfect rectangle.

My question is this: there is one door that opens into a hallway.
It is centered on the long wall facing in to a hallway. What effects should I see, if any, if I open the door or close it?

My wife prefers it open so she can hear the door bell, etc. I prefer it closed. There is a vent directly over the door that passes air out of the room and back to the AC. It is simply two grates, one on each side of the wall over the door.

Thanks for your help.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: How does an open door affect sound? [message #74189 is a reply to message #74188] Sun, 21 October 2012 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Opening the door changes the modal distributuon in the room.

Re: How does an open door affect sound? [message #74223 is a reply to message #74188] Mon, 22 October 2012 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audiot3ch is currently offline  audiot3ch
Chancellor
Opening the door allows for the sound to be projected even further. If you crack it a little, I think you can keep your wife happy. Some sound will travel outside of the room, but you'll also be able to hear the doorbell better.
Re: How does an open door affect sound? [message #74237 is a reply to message #74223] Tue, 23 October 2012 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Install a wireless doorbell and both of you will be happy.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: How does an open door affect sound? [message #74258 is a reply to message #74223] Fri, 26 October 2012 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
Thanks guys. I'm not sure what modal distribution is, but I have decided to put a light in the room that triggers when the bell rings.

Floyd

BTW: I'm still getting no email notification of responses that I get to my posts.

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: How does an open door affect sound? [message #74261 is a reply to message #74258] Fri, 26 October 2012 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
Just remember that the more space that there is your sound system to has operate in, the lower the quality of that sound is going to be. Depending on the system itself of course. Opening the door means you are letting in more space for that sound system, so it will effect the quality.
Re: How does an open door affect sound? [message #74264 is a reply to message #74188] Fri, 26 October 2012 08:11 Go to previous message
Sunflower is currently offline  Sunflower
Chancellor
I don't know a lot about the technical side of this topic but I've seen the reduced sound, in both volume and quality, in action. My father is a bit deaf and he has to watch TV in a room with all the doors closed. That's a nuisance when the weather is good and you want some fresh air.
Previous Topic: Rain on the Roof
Next Topic: Neil Young's High-Resolution Download Service
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:40:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout