Home » Audio » General » Matching tracks
Matching tracks [message #74173] Thu, 18 October 2012 22:37 Go to next message
emeraldfalls is currently offline  emeraldfalls
Esquire
I think I have a relatively easy question...I'm new to this and still learning as I go. I'm using audacity audio editing program. I have imported an audio and have 2 tracks that don't match. One is much bigger than the other. I would like to make them the same so they come out of the speaker at even levels. Can anyone help with this please? ...emeraldfalls
Re: Matching tracks [message #74174 is a reply to message #74173] Thu, 18 October 2012 23:21 Go to previous message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
First, highlight both tracks. In the Effects menu, choose Amplifier > Normalize. In the Normalize dialog box, set maximum amplitude at 0dB. This will amplify both tracks until their loudest peaks top out at 0dB.

If one of the tracks has a lower nominal volume than the other but also has high peaks that prevent it from being amplified to the same nominal volume as the other, then you must first use your compressor or hard limiter to lower the peaks on that track so they are similar in level to the other's peaks. This must be done before either track is altered from its original form. Then, you follow the steps in the first paragraph to amplify them to 0dB.

If this is unclear, don't be afraid to ask more questions!

Thermionic Smile

Previous Topic: Need help with email notification
Next Topic: Enjoy the Music Audio Contest
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:38:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers