Home » Audio » Home Theater » Roku!!
Roku!! [message #72884] Fri, 01 June 2012 19:11 Go to next message
TurnItUp is currently offline  TurnItUp
Viscount
We just got a Roku box for our living room because we were getting bored with the Netflix offerings. You can watch tv from around the world on this thing and we have barely scratched the surface on what you can get. For a one time $60 price tag I am unclear as to why anybody is still paying to watch tv!
Re: Roku!! [message #72886 is a reply to message #72884] Fri, 01 June 2012 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm with you on that. We have three wireless HD Roku boxes and love them. Now days, a lot of BluRay manufacturers are also bundling in streaming services, much like a Roku box. I really like those too.

The only thing I don't like is the occasional dropouts. But this isn't the Roku box's fault - it's the fault of the core technology of the IP network layer, the very nature of the internet. It isn't made to run video through.

IP was never intended for real-time feeds; In fact, it was specifically designed to recover from situations where connections fail, and not suffer data loss. So everything is broken into packets, and they do not necessarily arrive in the right order. This is great for computer data, that can be re-ordered after it arrives. Not so good for a real-time feed though, like a video transfer.

In spite of that (severe) handicap, in practice, video streams over good IP connections work pretty well. Just don't try and run them on mediocre lines or where wifi has a lot of interference. That suuuuuuucks.

Re: Roku!! [message #72889 is a reply to message #72886] Fri, 01 June 2012 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Exposing my ignorance .... Confused how do you find out what is available and when it will show? I may have to get a box myself.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Roku!! [message #72890 is a reply to message #72889] Fri, 01 June 2012 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Most of the content is on-demand services, so you click what you want and it starts immediately. It's previously recorded.

For network TV listings, you can check a service likeTV Guide or Rovi. They're useful for people running their televisions with antennas too. Pretty much just an online version of the old TV Guide books we used to get back in the day.

Re: Roku!! [message #72891 is a reply to message #72884] Sat, 02 June 2012 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've never even heard of Roku, but that does sound pretty cool despite the IP-related dropouts Wayne mentioned. I am confused on the cost though; the $60 is for the box, correct? How much does the monthly subscription cost?
Re: Roku!! [message #72894 is a reply to message #72891] Sat, 02 June 2012 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It depends on what you want. There are a lot of free services, but they're kinda lame. Then there's stuff like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, which are pay services.

Re: Roku!! [message #72896 is a reply to message #72884] Sat, 02 June 2012 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurnItUp is currently offline  TurnItUp
Viscount
Right now we have got Netflix going and we got a free month's worth of Hulu and Amazon Prime but we haven't tried them out yet. We have been finding plenty of stuff to watch on the ROKU channels. The only thing I have been disappointed in is the lack of kids shows on the ROKU.
Re: Roku!! [message #73738 is a reply to message #72884] Mon, 03 September 2012 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rockstar is currently offline  Rockstar
Master
So you don't have cable or the big cable bill? Can you watch sports and reality TV on it? I would love a cheaper version of cable if I can still watch football!

Let's chat!
Re: Roku!! [message #74169 is a reply to message #72884] Thu, 18 October 2012 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audiot3ch is currently offline  audiot3ch
Chancellor
We have the Roku device as well. We got it for really cheap from Best Buy. I use it on a near daily basis. Not only does it have Netflix, but it also has Hulu.

Just make sure it's near the modem for the Internet. It's all streaming and the quality will be bad if it's on the other side of the house.
Re: Roku!! [message #74253 is a reply to message #72884] Thu, 25 October 2012 10:19 Go to previous message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
My TV has video streaming capabilities, either through my computer or directly from Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu (although I'd have to pay for them of course). I'm not sure if Roku would get me anything extra.
Previous Topic: 3D TVs
Next Topic: HDMI cord
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:44:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout