Home » Audio » Home Theater » HDMI cord
HDMI cord [message #74158] Wed, 17 October 2012 14:36 Go to next message
audiot3ch is currently offline  audiot3ch
Chancellor
I've heard rumors that some HDMI cords can be better quality than the cheaper brands. Is this true? I want to make sure I'm getting the best quality on my HDTV with my Xbox 360 by having the best quality HDMI cord.
Re: HDMI cord [message #74160 is a reply to message #74158] Wed, 17 October 2012 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There is definitely a difference in HDMI cable quality between brands. Not only is the conductor/insulator different, but the connector too. I find it extremely irritating that the cheapo cables seem to have been assembled by a monkey, poor crimps that fail right out of the box.

When you buy a $10 HDMI cable, it has about a 50% defect rate brand-new. Of the half that work, probably 80% of those will fail after you've inserted and removed them from their mating connector once or twice. I don't think you need to pay fifty or a hundred bucks for an HDMI cable, but do be careful of the bargain brands.

Re: HDMI cord [message #74168 is a reply to message #74158] Thu, 18 October 2012 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audiot3ch is currently offline  audiot3ch
Chancellor
Thank you for the reply. I have bought some really cheap HDMI cords in the past. One of them failed within a few months. The metal connector that goes into the back of the television broke and the cords were starting to show. It was bad and it really made me mad. However, I guess I got what I paid for.
Re: HDMI cord [message #74390 is a reply to message #74168] Wed, 07 November 2012 08:25 Go to previous message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
audiot3ch wrote on Thu, 18 October 2012 19:10
Thank you for the reply. I have bought some really cheap HDMI cords in the past. One of them failed within a few months. The metal connector that goes into the back of the television broke and the cords were starting to show. It was bad and it really made me mad. However, I guess I got what I paid for.

That has happened to me too; I think I got six months out of the cable. I can't remember which HDMI cable I have now, but I've had it for years with no issues.
Previous Topic: Roku!!
Next Topic: Branding question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:47:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout