Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Suggestions for FAQ
Suggestions for FAQ [message #74073] Fri, 05 October 2012 15:56 Go to next message
zheka is currently offline  zheka
Viscount

About the thread:
"Speaker placement and wavefront launch"

it's a shame that threads like this one are getting lost over time. Is there a way to make it a sticky?

Re: Suggestions for FAQ [message #74074 is a reply to message #74073] Fri, 05 October 2012 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

zheka wrote on Fri, 05 October 2012 15:56
it's a shame that threads like this one are getting lost over time. Is there a way to make it a sticky?

There is a way to make threads sticky, yes. And sometimes I think about doing it. But really, there are probably a couple dozen that I refer to over and over again, and if I made them all sticky, the whole first page would be covered with them. Maybe I could make one FAQ page sticky though, and have links to reference posts in it. Examples include "Notes for the DIYer","12π basshorn subwoofer - the best yet!", "Midrange Horn" and "Speaker placement and wavefront launch".

As it is, I just reference previous posts when I make replies that pertain. Like if someone asks how to make measurements when designing a crossover, I usually link to "The Acoustic Center: How it applies to Loudspeaker Measurements", "Crossover optimization for DI-matched two-way speakers" or to "Notes for the DIYer", which contains a link to that thread and to other crossover information.

I guess when it comes right down to it, I end up thinking half the threads on this site would end up being a sticky. Maybe not that many, but a lot. So I just leave it the way it is, and hope people will use the search function to mine the site for useful nuggets of information.

Re: Suggestions for FAQ [message #74075 is a reply to message #74074] Fri, 05 October 2012 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wayne, you might think about making a sticky FAQ thread with the 12 or so threads you find most useful. It would be quick way to do an initial search.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for those corner horns Laughing Laughing
Re: Suggestions for FAQ [message #74076 is a reply to message #74073] Fri, 05 October 2012 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I second the idea of a sticky FAQ thread with collection of links in a "recommended reading" section. If my experience is any indicator such a collection can prove very useful. The fact that I stumbled over this thread by pure chance today is a case in point IMO.
Re: Suggestions for FAQ [message #74077 is a reply to message #74076] Fri, 05 October 2012 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, guys, that's a great idea. Thanks for bringing it up.

I had considered something like that from time to time, but never did it. Your suggestions have prompted me to action.

I'll make a sticky thread this weekend, and I'll begin to add links to it as time permits. If you find any that you feel are particularly useful, please mention them to me in an email or in this "Suggestions for FAQ" thread.

Re: Suggestions for FAQ [message #74086 is a reply to message #74077] Mon, 08 October 2012 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
wow. You listed a lot of good stuff I have not seen before. Thank you!
Re: Suggestions for FAQ [message #74087 is a reply to message #74086] Mon, 08 October 2012 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for the suggestion. If you see anything else in the archives you want me to add, let me know. There are a lot of tidbits in there that I occasionally refer to, and I may have missed some of them, but I think I pretty much hit the high points.

Re: Suggestions for FAQ [message #74112 is a reply to message #74087] Thu, 11 October 2012 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skywave-rider is currently offline  skywave-rider
Viscount
Thanks for doing that, Wayne. You have no idea how often I've searched for certain posts, most of them now listed in the FAQ. Also convenient because I often have to read things over.
Re: Suggestions for FAQ [message #74171 is a reply to message #74073] Thu, 18 October 2012 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dprice is currently offline  dprice
Chancellor
Excellent stuff in the FAQ. One area you haven't covered (or I missed) is related to drivers. Used drivers, obsolete drivers, close enough (?) drivers, recones, and so on.

Thank you for your willingness to share you knowledge.

Don
Re: Suggestions for FAQ [message #74172 is a reply to message #74171] Thu, 18 October 2012 21:22 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's true. Sometimes we talk about getting used 2226 baskets and reconing them. Other than that, the drivers that can be used are listed in the plans.

Previous Topic: Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread
Next Topic: three π subwoofer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:12:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout