Home » Audio » General » Sound Isolation Preferences
Sound Isolation Preferences [message #73818] Fri, 14 September 2012 09:49 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
How isolated do you like your home to be from outside sounds? If I'm recording, I want it as isolated as possible, of course, but otherwise, I throw open the windows so I can hear what's going on outside. It makes me feel more like I'm part of the neighborhood around me instead of shut away.
Re: Sound Isolation Preferences [message #73952 is a reply to message #73818] Tue, 25 September 2012 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damon73 is currently offline  Damon73
Baron
I actually don't mind the isolation, outside noise tends to be distracting to me. When I want to feel like part of the neighborhood I simply go for a walk. When I need to get a little fresh air in the house I'll open the windows, but only for a few minutes here and there.
Re: Sound Isolation Preferences [message #74004 is a reply to message #73818] Tue, 02 October 2012 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, I can understand that, Damon. Personally, though, I like to feel part of the neighborhood even when I'm just moving around the house. It's probably good that I live in a friendly climate.
Re: Sound Isolation Preferences [message #74007 is a reply to message #74004] Tue, 02 October 2012 10:38 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't really have any problem with isolating myself from neighbors because I'm in a single-family home. Back when I was an apartment dweller, it was a problem but really, there was no resolution. I just had to "keep it down" and live with the occasional noise from neighbors. Now that I'm in a home, the neighbors almost never bother me and I get no real outside sounds except for unusual events.

I think probably I'm more likely to be loud than my neighbors, but even that isn't usually an issue. I do have a Crown amp capable of 2400 watts though, and occasionally I'll put the petal to the metal, for testing or "just because". But that doesn't happen that often, really, I usually am running ten watts of SET power, which is plenty loud but not so much that neighbors would be annoyed.

Previous Topic: When did you first start using earplugs?
Next Topic: How Test Gear Can Mess With Your Mind
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:28:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout