Home » Audio » Speaker » Built in speakers
Built in speakers [message #73774] Mon, 10 September 2012 17:53 Go to next message
Shel25 is currently offline  Shel25
Chancellor
What do you think about speakers that are built right into walls? I would love these! It would save so much room. I've seen a couple of them in magazines but never in anyone's house. Are they easy to set up? What about the cost?
Re: Built in speakers [message #73779 is a reply to message #73774] Tue, 11 September 2012 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If the speakers are high quality and mounted in the right place, in-wall mounting is very good. It eliminates self-interference from the baffle wall (which is almost always the most offending reflection) and removes any possibility of baffle step.
Re: Built in speakers [message #73810 is a reply to message #73774] Thu, 13 September 2012 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I think in-wall mounting is pretty cool myself, and I love how streamlined it is, but having open floor plans makes in-wall mounting pretty difficult. I know I couldn't do it for my entire surround system anyway.
Re: Built in speakers [message #74466 is a reply to message #73774] Tue, 13 November 2012 17:42 Go to previous message
VoigtClub is currently offline  VoigtClub
Chancellor
I haven't installed them myself, but it's an intriguing idea, and in principle, a very good one. You actually could get away with small speakers, because the wall will amplify the bass.

If you have any construction experience or know anyone who does, it's not a big deal, provided you already know how to assemble a speaker. I like the idea that you don't even need to assemble a cabinet -- you just cut a hole in the drywall (which is easy enough to do by hand), fish some cable up the wall, and connect it up!

By itself, it won't be Hi-Fi, but with proper planning, it could be made to be so.
Previous Topic: Klipsch KP-3002 Crossover Mods
Next Topic: Speaker Stand Article
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 20:17:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout