Home » Audio » Home Theater » Branding question
Branding question [message #73273] Fri, 13 July 2012 13:52 Go to next message
mixinlady
Baron
How did you settle on the brand to purchase when it came to your home theater system? Did you look up lots of reviews, rely on past experience or recommendations, "go with your gut" or something else?
Re: Branding question [message #73282 is a reply to message #73273] Fri, 13 July 2012 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuvMartin is currently offline  LuvMartin
Master
Yes, we read LOTS of reviews before we buy anything, and we no longer buy anything Sony. There was a time when we bought everything Sony, but their quality dropped so low I won't even consider them. You also couldn't pay me to get anything that was HP ever again. We had a horrible experience with their product and their customer service.
Re: Branding question [message #73335 is a reply to message #73273] Fri, 20 July 2012 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
We look mainly at online reviews and past experience. For example, I read great reviews about Harman Kardon, generally trust the brand, and have been happy with their receivers for years.
Re: Branding question [message #73337 is a reply to message #73335] Fri, 20 July 2012 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, By all means do the research, but beware..... some less scrupulous companies have their own folks writing bogus reviews. If all the reviews are positive and there are no complaints watch out. Crying or Very Sad

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Branding question [message #73371 is a reply to message #73337] Mon, 23 July 2012 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
gofar99 wrote on Fri, 20 July 2012 09:50
Hi, By all means do the research, but beware..... some less scrupulous companies have their own folks writing bogus reviews. If all the reviews are positive and there are no complaints watch out. Crying or Very Sad

That's a good point. Paid reviews are a big business. I also watch out for extremely similar reviews at multiple sites and discount those when I find them.
Re: Branding question [message #73674 is a reply to message #73273] Sat, 25 August 2012 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damon73 is currently offline  Damon73
Baron
mixinlady wrote on Fri, 13 July 2012 13:52
How did you settle on the brand to purchase when it came to your home theater system? Did you look up lots of reviews, rely on past experience or recommendations, "go with your gut" or something else?

I prefer to ask for recommendations from my friends and family. Online reviews are definitely helpful when I have nowhere else to turn, but I trust people I actually know much more.
Re: Branding question [message #74096 is a reply to message #73674] Tue, 09 October 2012 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
Damon73 wrote on Sat, 25 August 2012 21:36
mixinlady wrote on Fri, 13 July 2012 13:52

I prefer to ask for recommendations from my friends and family. Online reviews are definitely helpful when I have nowhere else to turn, but I trust people I actually know much more.

Yes, I trust personal reviews better as well. Plus, if the person you are asking is close by, you can go listen to their system.
Re: Branding question [message #74106 is a reply to message #73273] Wed, 10 October 2012 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I forgot about personal reviews. Confused Yes, those are extremely helpful as well, at least as long as you trust the ears of the person you are talking to.
Re: Branding question [message #74349 is a reply to message #73337] Fri, 02 November 2012 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sunflower is currently offline  Sunflower
Chancellor
gofar99 wrote on Fri, 20 July 2012 23:50

This is so true. I first noticed it when looking at reviews for something unrelated to music. They all had such a similar writing style that it was kind of obvious, but it made me watch for fake praise on other sites too. If I was buying something expensive I'd like to hear it in action first.
Re: Branding question [message #74514 is a reply to message #73273] Tue, 20 November 2012 19:52 Go to previous message
love2play is currently offline  love2play
Master
We are currently in the market for a new home theater system and we have just been asking around to see what others have and like. If something in particular comes up more than once we go and look at online reviews as well.
Previous Topic: HDMI cord
Next Topic: Vinyl To CD
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:16:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout