Home » Audio » General » Sonic Booms
Sonic Booms [message #72771] Tue, 22 May 2012 10:19 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Have you ever heard a sonic boom? Where were you?

I used to hear them a few times a year as the space shuttle would pass overhead on its way to landing. Even when I knew they were coming, they still made me jump.
Re: Sonic Booms [message #72805 is a reply to message #72771] Thu, 24 May 2012 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuvMartin is currently offline  LuvMartin
Master
We think that we may have heard a sonic boom a few weeks ago. It was unlike anything we had ever heard or felt before. The whole house shook, and it seemed like the shaking continued after the sound stopped. Everyone in our neighborhood went immediately outside. I don't remember the time, but it was already dark and all the porch lights came on, and everyone was in the street asking what was that?!? My parents live approximately 5 miles from us and they were outside at the time and heard nothing. Very, very strange. When we mentioned it to my dad he was the one who said it might have been a sonic boom.
Re: Sonic Booms [message #72834 is a reply to message #72771] Sat, 26 May 2012 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Used to hear them alot out where I grew up in remote SW KS. McConnell AFB used to run training missions out there all the time and although they weren't supposed to do it, it happened all the time. More impressive was when the B1's used to run about 200 feet off the deck at about 700mph with the afterburners blazing. They are the loudest damn plane I have ever heard. They used to get in trouble even flying at altitude for scaring the livestock where I grew up.
Re: Sonic Booms [message #72838 is a reply to message #72771] Sun, 27 May 2012 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuvMartin is currently offline  LuvMartin
Master
Do they typically make everything shake? I had never really heard of them before until the incident we had here and my dad saying that it sounded like a sonic boom.
Re: Sonic Booms [message #72877 is a reply to message #72838] Thu, 31 May 2012 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've seen things tremble a little but not for more than a split second after the boom. If they continued shaking for longer, then I think a sonic boom wouldn't explain your experience.
Re: Sonic Booms [message #72986 is a reply to message #72771] Wed, 13 June 2012 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love2play is currently offline  love2play
Master
As far as I know I have never heard or experienced a sonic boom. I read a story the other day about a strange noise in Michigan that made a tree fall over! I don't think that was a sonic boom though.
Re: Sonic Booms [message #73004 is a reply to message #72771] Fri, 15 June 2012 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have heard that things can shake for a bit after a sonic boom, so I wouldn't totally rule that out for LuvMartin. Shaking didn't last long the time I heard a sonic boom, but I only heard one once.
Re: Sonic Booms [message #73008 is a reply to message #73004] Fri, 15 June 2012 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aki is currently offline  Aki
Baron
This was quite some time ago, but I was on the ground when a sonic boom hit. It literally felt like a bomb going off. May be the ground shook too, but I was off upstairs in an office building. The 'boom' was powerful enough that it caused huge cracks on several floor-to-ceiling window on our office building.

We had no idea what happened till later that day. Then TV news reported that an eager Navy pilot on F-14 went supersonic before being over the ocean, causing damages along his path....
Re: Sonic Booms [message #73044 is a reply to message #72771] Tue, 19 June 2012 00:30 Go to previous message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
Being 65, I go way back. During the 50s, I heard them many times a day. There was a military airfield near by, and no one had made a fuss about it yet. They were awesome! Unless you worked a night shift and needed to sleep during the day I suppose. I was just a kid.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Previous Topic: iPod plug in for vehicle
Next Topic: A decent cd player
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:50:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout