Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Large Rubber "O" Ring with JBL 2226H
Large Rubber "O" Ring with JBL 2226H [message #72254] Thu, 19 April 2012 16:11 Go to next message
dutchswan0311 is currently offline  dutchswan0311
Viscount
Well, I am finally getting the four pi speakers put together and a noticed a couple of things:

1. When Wayne says its disappointing when a connector on the crossover board breaks, he wasn't kidding. It was easy enough to sodder it back on, but frustrating nonetheless.

2. They sound great, but I can't help but feel some kind of gasket material is supposed to go between woofer/horn and the wooden cabinet. Did I miss part of the instructions calling for a gasket of some kind?

3. The JBL woofer comes with its own Tnuts and 10-32 Phillips headcap screws, which was unexpected. I find that the Phillips head strips very easily :-/

4. There is a large rubber "O" ring that also comes with the JBL woofer. Unfortunately, no directions come with the woofer, so I don't know what the rubber ring is four. It is roughly the same diameter as the woofer, so I can't help but feel it is supposed to seal something.

Thanks for any replies that come my way. Smile
Re: Large Rubber "O" Ring with JBL 2226H [message #72260 is a reply to message #72254] Thu, 19 April 2012 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Answers/comments by numbers:

1. Yes, indeed.

2. We usually use a PVC gasket. You can make them out of cardboard too.

3. I like using T-Nuts and button head screws, which are fastened with an Allen wrench.

4. That big "O" Ring is kinda cool, isn't it? I have several dozen of them because I never use them. I suppose you could, but I prefer to use a PVC gasket, as described above.

Re: Large Rubber "O" Ring with JBL 2226H [message #72262 is a reply to message #72260] Thu, 19 April 2012 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Good. I purchased 1/16" thick sheet of cork material that I then cut to size. I think it will work well. I also purchased #10-32 hex head cap screws to replace the Phillips. I am pretty sure this is what you use as well. I also thought that "O" ring appeared to cause more problems than it fixed. I will use the cork for the woofer as well.

My only remaining issue now is fringe to figure out how to fasten the 15" Dayton Grills to the JBL woofer. :-/
Re: Large Rubber "O" Ring with JBL 2226H [message #72266 is a reply to message #72262] Thu, 19 April 2012 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCDC is currently offline  JCDC
Baron
Hey Dutchswan,

Grill mounting hardware comes with some grills but I guess they didn't with yours.

Search for "grill clamp kit" or "grill mounting hardware" at your favorite online store. There's probably one that's made for your grills.

Check out my "Grills for Eminence woofers, sound implications" thread.

Enjoy your 4Pi's ... just wait till you crank them .... CLEAN!

Cheers,
Jeff
Re: Large Rubber "O" Ring with JBL 2226H [message #72268 is a reply to message #72266] Thu, 19 April 2012 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I will have to check out the mounting hardware...I just wish it had said they didn't come with it. I finished putting the cork gaskets on the horns and woofers on the pair of 4pis I have finished, and all of the new headcap screws pulled everything together nice and tight. Now I will focus on making them pretty before moving on to finishing all the other speakers and subs. I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Using my Onkyo 709 in conjunction with a pair of Crown XLS2000 amps in bridged mode (1,300W RMS) I turned the amps to the 50% mark and the AVR to the 100% mark, I figured the each 4pi would receive a max of ~600W. Did that with TranSiberian Orchestra music. Needless to say, it was much...much louder than what we could stand for more than 15 seconds. There was, in fact, no distortion and it was indeed clean at that SPL level. I could probably get away with running a pair of them off one XLS2000, but I already have my server rack configured to use three of them in bridged mode for the LCR channels. One thing is certain ... running each of them on its own I will have NO clipping issues whatsoever.
Re: Large Rubber "O" Ring with JBL 2226H [message #72289 is a reply to message #72268] Fri, 20 April 2012 18:13 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
dutchswan0311 wrote on Thu, 19 April 2012 22:19

Using my Onkyo 709 in conjunction with a pair of Crown XLS2000 amps in bridged mode (1,300W RMS) I turned the amps to the 50% mark and the AVR to the 100% mark, I figured the each 4pi would receive a max of ~600W. Did that with TranSiberian Orchestra music. .

Break-in? Yer Done!

Break-in? More like an "Italian Tuneup"!
Previous Topic: My Three Pi Speakers Finished
Next Topic: Grills for Eminence woofers, sound implications
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 16:14:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout