Home » Audio » Home Theater » HDMI (A World of Difference)
HDMI [message #72173] Mon, 16 April 2012 15:07 Go to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
We bought an HDMI-capable flat screen TV recently and finally got around to buying an HDMI cable for it. I cannot believe how much of a difference that cable makes in picture quality!! Before, I never would have believed that a cable, in an of itself, could make a difference in how good or bad your TV picture looks!
Re: HDMI [message #72174 is a reply to message #72173] Mon, 16 April 2012 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's not just a cable change but a format change. HDMI is a big improvement over earlier formats.

Re: HDMI [message #72175 is a reply to message #72174] Mon, 16 April 2012 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
And it's just one cable!
Re: HDMI [message #72187 is a reply to message #72173] Tue, 17 April 2012 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Just info... avoid buying cables from the place that sells TVs. They have seriously inflated prices. That is where they make a lot of the profit on the sale. I use Amazon and generally figure on a cost of about $2 a foot. Beware of the really cheap ones though. At 50 cents a foot you get what you pay for. Look for only ones that are 1.4 compliant.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: HDMI [message #72189 is a reply to message #72187] Tue, 17 April 2012 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
gofar99 wrote on Tue, 17 April 2012 11:16
Hi, Just info... avoid buying cables from the place that sells TVs. They have seriously inflated prices. That is where they make a lot of the profit on the sale. I use Amazon and generally figure on a cost of about $2 a foot. Beware of the really cheap ones though. At 50 cents a foot you get what you pay for. Look for only ones that are 1.4 compliant.

Yes, I've gotten seriously burned when buying cables from places like Best Buy. Amazon is a much better deal.

Like you, timron, I was shocked when we switched to HDMI and I saw the difference.
Re: HDMI [message #72191 is a reply to message #72173] Tue, 17 April 2012 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maggie is currently offline  maggie
Chancellor
We ran into the corp American low prices, cheap units too with Best Buy and a few other places. For the last three years we have only ordered from a local mom/pop shop that can order anything they do not carry (within reason of course).
Re: HDMI [message #72201 is a reply to message #72187] Tue, 17 April 2012 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
gofar99 wrote on Tue, 17 April 2012 11:16

^ I totally agree with this, and I'd like to add one more piece to that advice. Not only should you avoid buying the cables from the place you buy the TV from, you should also avoid buying the TV stand from there. When we bought our TV, we got a really great deal on it, but the least expensive TV stands they had were as much as the small TVs! That's ridiculous! Shop around!
Re: HDMI [message #72207 is a reply to message #72201] Tue, 17 April 2012 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes the stands and wall brackets are rip off too. A company on the web - MCM has many brackets and they are reasonable for cost. But as with the cables try Amazon for stands and brackets.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: HDMI [message #72210 is a reply to message #72174] Tue, 17 April 2012 18:53 Go to previous message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Mon, 16 April 2012 16:35

It's not just a cable change but a format change. HDMI is a big improvement over earlier formats.

I know, but it still amazes me how much of a difference the picture quality is between HDMI and non-HDMI formats! I really didn't think I would be able to tell the difference before or after the HDMI cable was hooked up, but it was IMMEDIATE!
Previous Topic: Plasma or LCD
Next Topic: TV Speakers Without a Receiver?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:12:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio