Home » Audio » General » Headphone listening (not getting warm fuzzies)
Re: Headphone listening [message #72156 is a reply to message #72086] Sun, 15 April 2012 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Just for grins I might make one.... does anyone have the schematic of both the simple one and the deluxe one?

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Headphone listening [message #72162 is a reply to message #72156] Sun, 15 April 2012 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Gofar99, look at Shane's link at rock-grotto. Doesn't get much easier than that. Easily built for under $10
Re: Headphone listening [message #72163 is a reply to message #72162] Sun, 15 April 2012 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The Lite version will definitely give you a taste of Xfeed, but it doesn't compare to the versatility of the Corda Cross-1. AFAIK, the Corda was the best passive Xfeed made. You can build it p2p like I did, but I think I just lucked out not having to shield everything. I've got the schematics and the layout for the DIY and the manual for the original as well. Probably have a BOM for the PCB version as well somewhere.

Here is how Jan described the Cross-1 that was built into his headamp (same as the stand-alone version of the cross though):

In principle, digital soundprocessors can simulate all the mechanisms for directional listening but the results are, thus far, not very satisfactory. In particular, pinnae-reflections are very complex and listener-specific and impossible to simulate accurately.

Fortunately, the mean directional information is provided by the time delay and level of attenuation of the sounds that reaches the opposite ear. The CORDA HEADAMP can electronically simulate this process and, with appropriate attenuation and delay, add some of the right audiosignal to the left channel and vice -versa. This considerably reduces the adverse symptoms of headphone listening.

A unique feature of the crossfeed circuitry of the CORDA HEADAMP is that it "recognizes" the virtual positions of the instruments and singers in a recording. The sound of an instrument in the middle of the soundstage will be equally present in both audio-channels and isn't given any crossfeed. A crossfeed signal is only generated for instruments that are not placed at the center. The more off-center the instrument is placed, the stronger the crossfeed and the longer its delay. This feature is called "natural crossfeed".
Re: Headphone listening [message #72240 is a reply to message #72086] Wed, 18 April 2012 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
I'm not much for headphones either. Even back in the day when all you could get were the large padded ones, it just didn't sound the same. The music didn't feel "free" somehow.
Re: Headphone listening [message #72456 is a reply to message #72240] Mon, 30 April 2012 14:48 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Miami wrote on Wed, 18 April 2012 22:42
I'm not much for headphones either. Even back in the day when all you could get were the large padded ones, it just didn't sound the same. The music didn't feel "free" somehow.

That's mostly because the headphone out on most gear was an afterthought, not the design priority. Some of the best headphones still are the large padded ones. Headphone listening has come a very long way IMO. Check out Head-Fi to see for yourself.
Previous Topic: suitcase record player
Next Topic: Bagpipes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 13:40:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout