Home » Audio » General » Sound as Text Files?
Sound as Text Files? [message #72127] Fri, 13 April 2012 13:39 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Have you ever heard of songs/sound files that, when converted to text, actually say something meaningful? I wonder how you would go about doing that.
Re: Sound as Text Files? [message #72150 is a reply to message #72127] Sun, 15 April 2012 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
I've never heard of this, but I'm not familiar with converting sound files into text files. At first, I thought you meant something to the effect of texting sound files from phone-to-phone. Is sound-to-text conversion common? What would be the purpose of the conversion?
Re: Sound as Text Files? [message #72157 is a reply to message #72150] Sun, 15 April 2012 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Me neither.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Sound as Text Files? [message #72165 is a reply to message #72127] Mon, 16 April 2012 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I had to go back and find where I read about it; here is the link. Just scroll down to #1. I read what they did and I still don't get how it was done, but it is interesting.
Re: Sound as Text Files? [message #72170 is a reply to message #72165] Mon, 16 April 2012 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's kinda fun, in an uber-geeky way.

What they're saying is they took the sound generated by a 300 baud modem and recorded it. They sent a text file to a modem and recorded the sound that came out. It makes a buzzing sound, easy to decode by pretty much any old modem. You could still probably find a computer that would decode that signal - just dial into a computer that had a modem connected, play the sound into the mouthpiece of a phone and the computer will show that text file.

Another similar trick is to record what comes out of the cassette line of an old 1970s microcomputer. Do a "Save" of a text file out to cassette tape. Back in the 1970s, the early microcomputers often had cassette input/ouputs, so the user could store their programs and data. Simple and primitive, but inexpensive. The old Apple II, Atari, Commodore and Radio Shack computers had tape interfaces. All the early micros did.

Now another demonstration of uber-geekiness. That cracked.com article, in their #5 "Easter Egg", mistakenly credits Pink Floyd in their 1979 album, "The Wall" as being the first popular band to include a reversed message that was actually intended. That's not true. In 1975, Electric Light Orchestra put a backward message on their "Face the Music" album that says, "The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back, turn back, turn back".

Re: Sound as Text Files? [message #72186 is a reply to message #72127] Tue, 17 April 2012 09:40 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for explaining it further, Wayne. Your explanation was easier to understand. As for their failure to credit ELO, perhaps you should send them a comment to that effect.
Previous Topic: Fiber Optic or RCA Cable - Which do you prefer?
Next Topic: Wireless speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 23:53:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout