Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » My Three Pi Speakers Finished
My Three Pi Speakers Finished [message #72046] Sat, 07 April 2012 17:15 Go to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
Attached are two pictures of my completed Three Pi speakers. The cabinets are 3/4" MDF laminated in a special order deep blue high gloss laminate from Nevamar.

The room is in a rent house I'm living in while another house is being built, so try picturing them in a room with dark blue walls and no windows.

The sound is terrific. These are very accurate speakers that will produce more sound than you can stand with no strain at all. The actual speaker section is only 30", but I had them lengthened to 50" to bring the drivers to seated ear level.

I need at least one more subwoofer, and I think I will build two more Three Pis for surrounds. But, I'm not putting anything else in until I'm relocated.

Floyd

index.php?t=getfile&id=754&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=755&private=0

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: My Three Pi Speakers Finished [message #72053 is a reply to message #72046] Sun, 08 April 2012 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That finish is just stunning, Floyd!

Cool how they have the false bottom to act as built-in stands. They look like towers, but are built as designed where it counts.

Excellent!

Re: My Three Pi Speakers Finished [message #72056 is a reply to message #72053] Sun, 08 April 2012 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks!

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: My Three Pi Speakers Finished [message #72060 is a reply to message #72056] Sun, 08 April 2012 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
Those are just amazing looking!!!! I wish I could afford to build a pair.
Re: My Three Pi Speakers Finished [message #72062 is a reply to message #72046] Sun, 08 April 2012 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick77 is currently offline  Nick77
Baron
Man, those look great!! Congrats!
Re: My Three Pi Speakers Finished [message #72063 is a reply to message #72062] Sun, 08 April 2012 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Fantastic! I did some white lacquered 2Pis years ago; shiny color cabinets are the cure for too much walnut. Ya got me thinking about Formica instead of wood veneer for my next project.

Once again, congratulations!
Re: My Three Pi Speakers Finished [message #72126 is a reply to message #72063] Fri, 13 April 2012 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skywave-rider is currently offline  skywave-rider
Viscount
Beautiful! I love the laminate, too.
I'll probably steal your idea.
Razz
Re: My Three Pi Speakers Finished [message #72136 is a reply to message #72046] Fri, 13 April 2012 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks to everyone. I think they look great, but I didn't expect that so many other people would. I was going to paint the screw heads flat black, but my wife thought silver was better. Less work for me. So silver they are.

The laminate is expensive. The one 4 x 10 foot sheet would have cost me around $250. And with no experience, I probably would have ruined at least one sheet. So, I let an experienced cabinet shop do the work for $300.

The big thing about laminate is that it is tough. You can treat it pretty rough, and it won't scratch. Most laminate is designed for counter tops, and the ensuing tough treatment. I had to special order the gloss, because most laminate has a textured finish to hide smudges.

I painted the vent hole flat black and let them have it. When I got the cabinets back, the hole was perfectly cut out, and the paint was still there. I'm going to say that must take a great deal of care and skill.

I took a leap of faith with Pi Speaker's unique design where the horn handles the upper midrange and a specifically designed woofer handles the lower midrange and bass. But, it paid off. They sound as good as they look. I and my wife are particularly happy with them. I mention my wife, because she would be the first one to object to any distortion.

Floyd

Re: My Three Pi Speakers Finished [message #72244 is a reply to message #72136] Thu, 19 April 2012 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NWCgrad is currently offline  NWCgrad
Master
Floyd,

Those look great! I really like the false bottom idea, when I rebuild the cabinets for my 4 Pi's I may do that to eliminate the need for stands.

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: My Three Pi Speakers Finished [message #72251 is a reply to message #72244] Thu, 19 April 2012 13:23 Go to previous message
Master
I think you will like the solid feel it lends to the speaker. Mine weigh about 65 pounds, and they stay planted.

A darker color makes them blend in well. At first I was looking at some gold anodized laminate. Then it occurred to me that they would look like two giant gold teeth. Very Happy

Floyd

Previous Topic: Two Pi Plans
Next Topic: Large Rubber "O" Ring with JBL 2226H
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 13:11:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout