Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Old Movies?
Old Movies? [message #7174] Wed, 20 September 2006 11:37 Go to next message
destiny is currently offline  destiny
Baron
Anyone enjoy really old movies once in a while? If so, which are the best that you've seen, and how old are they? One of my favorites is The Lion in Winter from the early 60s (although the new version is good, too).

Re: Old Movies? [message #7175 is a reply to message #7174] Wed, 20 September 2006 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hey Thats not old; Citizen Cain is old. That is a great movie, just watched it again for the tenth time.
What do you think about John Wayne?

Re: Old Movies? [message #7176 is a reply to message #7175] Thu, 21 September 2006 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
destiny is currently offline  destiny
Baron
I've never been into John Wayne too much. I've seen movies, just not one of my favorites. Do you like all westerns or just Wayne westerns in particular?

Re: Old Movies? [message #7182 is a reply to message #7176] Thu, 21 September 2006 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
I'm not much into westerns, but Rio Bravo (with John Wayne) is still a fav of mine.

I guess two of my oldest fav movies would be "Walkabout" & "Don't Look Now", both directed by Nicolas Roeg, ca. '70

Re:John Wayne [message #7183 is a reply to message #7182] Sat, 23 September 2006 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
When I was youger I wasn't much of a fan but now with a couple yrs of life experience in the bag I see his legacy a little differently. I say first of all that there are no actors like him left in the world; he was an Icon. Now I know he is always described as a Non-actor who survived by playing himself in every movie. But to my mind that in itself is an accomplishment. If you watch him closely on the screen you can see he has a gift for using the story line to define his own personal beliefes. That may sound trite and i would agree except that is not so easy to do; I don't see anyone else doing that now on such a fundamental level as he does.
Look at the "Searchers", He starts out with those pure and ethical motives; his bitterness at the outcome of the civil war and his sense of outraged righteousness speaks eloquently to a portrait of a pent-up determination to make up for that devastating loss.
My favorite line after the most famous line; where Ward Bond asks him if he wants to give up the search and he says," That'll be the day."
Which BTW is the title of the Buddy Holley song that Buddy said he took from this movie.
The other line occurs when Ward Bond asks him;
Say; when did you get back; I ain't seen you since the surrender. In fact I didn't see you at the surrender."

JW says this;
" I Don't Believe In Surrenders. Nope I still got my sabre Reverend; and I didn't turn it into no ploughshare either."

That line alone tells you everything about the guy. He is probably the only actor who could say that and mean it.

Re: Citizen Caine? That's not old. [message #7185 is a reply to message #7175] Mon, 25 September 2006 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I was there for "Birth Of A Nation".

Re: Citizen Caine? That's not old. [message #7186 is a reply to message #7185] Mon, 25 September 2006 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Was that you in the audience there? next to that cute blond with the flapper dress? And the lady with the beehive hairdo?

Re: Old Movies? [message #7189 is a reply to message #7174] Tue, 26 September 2006 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimmys devoted is currently offline  jimmys devoted
Baron
Hitchcocks the lady vanishes, Mel brrooks movies, Rebecca, The nuns story,Krippendorfs tribe, 12 angry men, ship of fools, of course the gene kelly, danny kay movies.
Movie flix has some great free ones. It keps me busy online too.....

j

Re: Old Movies? [message #7208 is a reply to message #7182] Tue, 10 October 2006 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ladygirl99 is currently offline  ladygirl99
Esquire
I like seeing some of the black and white movies of the 40s and 50s with the likes of Grace Kelly, Maureen O'Hara, Sidney Pointer, and more.

Re: Old Movies? [message #7218 is a reply to message #7174] Wed, 25 October 2006 04:40 Go to previous message
Marinel is currently offline  Marinel
Esquire
Old movies I liked the most is "The Sound of Music". I love its teachings and thoughts.

Previous Topic: PBBB double CD
Next Topic: Barry Manilow/ Killer Music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:26:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout