Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » two π tower port and positioning questions
two π tower port and positioning questions [message #71696] Wed, 07 March 2012 08:57 Go to next message
petew is currently offline  petew
Viscount
Does the two π tower have a port on the back? Would the tower work okay up against the wall as side and rear surrounds and can the port be moved to the front?

I'm considering incorporating towers into side and rear columns. How high should I mount the speakers? Some recommend installing surrounds higher up than the LCR speakers.
Re: two π tower port and positioning questions [message #71697 is a reply to message #71696] Wed, 07 March 2012 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, the port is on the back. No, it can't be moved to the front but that doesn't matter because it does work well when pushed back against the wall. It's a large port and so port velocity is low. I'd keep a few inches between the back of the speaker and the wall, but I mean, even just the trim at the floor jab sort of prevents you from moving it much closer than that.

About surround positioning, I agree, I like them slightly above. Don't know if that's 'cause it's what I'm used to from theaters or not, but it does seem to be more realistic. When I've tried them at ear level, the ambience seems unnatural. Don't put them too high though - sometimes focus is drawn to the surrounds, just for an instant. It's usually an explosion or hard pan off the screen or something like that. It was these hard pans that made me decide to try the speakers at ear level - seemed like they'd be more natural at the same level. But that height made ambience sounds seem out of place. So my final position was a couple of feet above ear level. Higher, but not too high.

Re: two π tower port and positioning questions [message #71698 is a reply to message #71696] Wed, 07 March 2012 11:44 Go to previous message
petew is currently offline  petew
Viscount
Thanks for the info Wayne. Good to hear the rear port is ok. I can definitely set them a couple of inches away from the wall. I prefer the look of the towers without a front port.

I'll request plans when I get closer to actually building.

Thanks
Previous Topic: Choosing the correct amps to run my Pi Speakers
Next Topic: Mounts for 1pi Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 13:56:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers