Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Choosing the correct amps to run my Pi Speakers
Choosing the correct amps to run my Pi Speakers [message #71660] Sun, 04 March 2012 10:23 Go to next message
dutchswan0311 is currently offline  dutchswan0311
Viscount
The following represents the settings that I am attempting to achieve with powering the Pi speakers in our dinner theater, and the subsequent amps that I have found so far that most closely meet those stated objectives. Please chime in if you know of a better or more efficient way of going about this (or if you see something wrong with my "ohm math") Smile

4Pi Speaker: As of now, I plan to run each of these three LCRs on their own Amp in bridged mode. The JBL Pro Cinema manual recommends doubling the RMS rating on the amp when compared to the RMS rating of the loudspeaker. As the 4Pi speakers are rated at 600W RMS @ 8ohm, I am looking for a loudspeaker that puts out 1,200W RMS in Bridged mode @ 8ohm.

1Pi Speaker (Left Surround x4 & Right Surround x4): Since each of these channels have four speakers in them, I am looking for an amp that can either (1) Provide 800W RMS in bridged mode @ 8ohm to connect to four 1pis wired in parallel and serial. This would require two amps; one to run the Left surrounds and one to run the right surrounds -or- (2) Provide 800W RMS x 2 Channels @ 8ohms to run the left and right surrounds wired in parallel and series. This would run all eight L/R Surrounds with one amp.

1Pi Speaker (Left-Rear Surround x 2 & Right-Rear Surround x 2): Provide 400W RMS x 2 @ 4ohms to connect to two 1Pis wired in parallel on each channel.

F20 Tapped Horn Subwoofer (LFE x 4): The F20 was originally designed for a 300W driver that is no longer for sale. I will be using the Dayton RSS390HF, which is rated at 500W RMS @ 4ohm. The designer of the "F20" (which represents an enclosure of 20 cubic feet) has recommended that no more than 300 watts be run through this sub, even if the driver has a higher rating. JBL Pro Cinema manual recommends matching the RMS ratings of the amp to the subwoofer at 1:1. I am not sure if this means I should utilize a 500W amp to match the driver that I never put more than 300W through, or just use a 300W amp. In any case, I am looking for a amp that can put out either 300W x 2 @ 4ohm, or 500W x 2 @ 4ohm. In either case, I would need two amps to run the four subs. THe JBL Pro cinema manual does not recommend running the subs in parallel or in series.

http://www.jonvanwyk.com/dinnertheaterbudget02.jpg
Re: Choosing the correct amps to run my Pi Speakers [message #71661 is a reply to message #71660] Sun, 04 March 2012 14:15 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Your plan is good. I think you can expect success with this approach.

Previous Topic: High-pass on the 4pi?
Next Topic: two π tower port and positioning questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:29:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout