Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Old 3pi pro vs current 1pi/2pi
Old 3pi pro vs current 1pi/2pi [message #71595] Wed, 29 February 2012 20:38 Go to next message
chris.berryman is currently offline  chris.berryman
Esquire
Wayne,

I'm building 4pi's for my mains and trying to figure out what to do for surrounds. I've been really impressed by the JBL midrange clarity. Reading back through old posts I came across references to the 3pi pro's that use the DX25 tweeter and the JBL 2206 12" woofer in a cab about the size of the 2 pi.

Do you still have the plans for the old 3pi pro? How would you compare them to the current dome tweeter options? Is there a benefit in the midrange with the JBL woofers? Is there a drawback or compromise due to beaming of the 12" at or near the crossover point?

Thanks, Chris
Re: Old 3pi pro vs current 1pi/2pi [message #71604 is a reply to message #71595] Wed, 29 February 2012 22:16 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The DX25 tweeter was the same as in current models, it's the midwoofer that I updated. I love JBL woofers, what with their shorting rings giving 15dB less distortion. But I did feel that the 2206 was an awkward match, and in the end, I scrapped it.

My favorite all-time one π version was one I made about 30 years ago with a JBL 2115 midwoofer. Just a wonderful speaker. It's a moot point though, because they're unobtanium now. Can't even get recone kits for them, so even when you can find them used, there's no way to service them. And you'd have to, because the voice coils in them were delicate. They were a very different animal than the rest of the JBL Pro Series, which is why I suspect they go the boot. But they sure sounded good.

Previous Topic: Grills for your 4pi? 1pi?
Next Topic: High-pass on the 4pi?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:58:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout