Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Greatest Concert Ever?
Greatest Concert Ever? [message #7158] Wed, 13 September 2006 15:19 Go to next message
destiny is currently offline  destiny
Baron
Sorry if this is already a thread, but I couldn't find it anywhere... what's the absolute greatest concert you've ever been to?

Re: Greatest Concert Ever? [message #7159 is a reply to message #7158] Thu, 14 September 2006 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Pharoah Saunders reunion concert with Leon Thomas; Norman Conners and Cecil McBee at the Beacon Theater uptown. Magical.
He did the full-out version of " The Creator Has A Master Plan." that had people in a trance. Sound was perfect in the arena.
It's a good story but lengthy.

Re: Greatest Concert Ever? [message #7163 is a reply to message #7159] Sat, 16 September 2006 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blooze is currently offline  Blooze
Esquire
For sheer tone -- Eric Johnson at the Roxy Club in Wichita, Ks at the beginning of his Ah Via Musicom tour. He played for 4 hours solid as penance for being 1 hour late. 200 people in a small club and I was 5 feet from the guy all night! Incredible playing!

For stage presence -- Buddy Guy at Rita's Little Uptown club. Buddy is just, well--Buddy!

For overall power over a crowd -- Godsmack on their Awake tour. I've only seen a crowd react like this 2-3 times in the 50+ concerts I've seen.

And any Rush concert I've ever seen. It just amazes me that three guys can do what they do.

Re: Greatest Concert Ever? [message #7165 is a reply to message #7158] Sat, 16 September 2006 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
While in the Navy in 1962 I went to see Johnny Cash. He came on stage and said "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash" and Luther and he played for 1 1/2 hours straight. Then he said "I need a short break, be right back" He came back in 10 minutes and played for another 30 minutes. I wasn't even a country music fan but he sold me then and there. The man had stage presense and then some.

Next best would be Fleetwood Mac in 1977. No pretense, just good playing & singing. Oh yeah, they still had Lindsay with them then.

Re: Greatest Concert Ever? [message #7167 is a reply to message #7163] Sat, 16 September 2006 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
As a youth I followed the Bluesmen. I saw Muddy at least twenty times until he actually said hello to us. I saw Howlin Wolf/ Willie Dixon/ Johnny Lee Hooker/ Buddy Guy and Junior Wells/ James Cotton/ The list goes on. They are all dead or dying; those were always great shows.
The young Johnny Winter was stunning. There really is something about that stuff in small venues; it has a visceral impact that nothing else has. Who would I have paid any amount to see; Little Walter no doubt!
There isn't any other blues guys around to emulate those players; Anson Funderburgh or The Thunderbirds when they were together.
Who do you like that play now?

Re: Greatest Concert Ever? [message #7172 is a reply to message #7158] Tue, 19 September 2006 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quietnow is currently offline  quietnow
Esquire
i'm going to have to say gogol bordello, even though it was at house of blues, which i'm not too fond of. these gypsies go absolutely over the top with everything they do, and it was sheer bliss, truly. it will be a sad day when they stop touring. who will crowd surf perched atop her own bass drum?

Re: Greatest Concert Ever? [message #7181 is a reply to message #7158] Thu, 21 September 2006 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
Small list off the top of my head: Defunkt at Jazzhouse Montmartre, Roger Waters at the Roskilde Festival (this year, played the whole "Dark Side... album) Elvis Costello at at least three occassions, Walter Trout Band '89, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Finnish pianist playing Mussorsgij's "Pictures..." at Egeskov, Mutter on her violin in our local concert hall... Also many good concerts by local Danish bands you guys wouldn't know

Easy ... #1 Elvis [message #7187 is a reply to message #7158] Mon, 25 September 2006 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zene Gillette is currently offline  Zene Gillette
Viscount
#2 A fantastic performance by Sha Na Na.
#3 James Brown, 1 1/2 to 2 hrs of sweatin' and screamin' with no break.
#4 The Supremes. Sweet and smooth.
Last 10cc and Elton John
No, I didn't get out much.
Zene

Re: Greatest Concert Ever? [message #7193 is a reply to message #7158] Fri, 29 September 2006 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
destiny is currently offline  destiny
Baron
Wow, these were some great answers and recommendations, thanks!

Re: Greatest Concert Ever? [message #7209 is a reply to message #7167] Tue, 10 October 2006 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ladygirl99 is currently offline  ladygirl99
Esquire
I think that any Prince concert is great. He is very sponateous and he puts a lot of energy to it.

Previous Topic: I bought the Mozart Clarinet Concerto for Robert Marcellus, but...
Next Topic: My newest absolutest favoritest album
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 14:13:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout