Home » Audio » General » Technology
Technology [message #71147] Mon, 30 January 2012 17:49 Go to next message
spinright is currently offline  spinright
Chancellor
How do you feel about the leap technology has taken? It makes me incredibly sad to know my kids will view books and land-line phones as ancient.
Re: Technology [message #71150 is a reply to message #71147] Mon, 30 January 2012 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, In some ways sad, in others not. I like being able to contact someone if there is an emergency. I like the ability of my computers to do complex tasks for me. I like the access to a great deal of media, both video and audio. On the negative side I have great concerns about the effect technology has on interpersonal activities. Many folks would rather text someone than to talk with them. The technology is inadvertently building barriers between people. The skills needed to actually convey information from one person to another when they are face to face are dwindling. Also the distancing created by technology makes it easier to criticize, degrade or in general say (in text) things that probably ought not be said. It seems to reduce the receiver to the status of an extension of the piece of gear doing the communicating and not actually be a real person. Jumping off my soapbox now. Confused

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Technology [message #71169 is a reply to message #71150] Tue, 31 January 2012 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spinright is currently offline  spinright
Chancellor
I hear you in regards to degrading text. It seems the more advanced we become, the more we are able to dehumanize without a shred of guilt.
Re: Technology [message #71171 is a reply to message #71169] Tue, 31 January 2012 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with you completely, Bruce. On a small soapbox of my own now, that's why I like this particular messageboard so much. We're all kindred spirits, and we keep a good house here.

Re: Technology [message #71172 is a reply to message #71147] Wed, 01 February 2012 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bruce brings up some very good points, but I have hope that as more time passes, we can learn to be more polite through e-communications. I do like the technological advances but can appreciate a good book and hope to pass that love on to my kids.
Re: Technology [message #71173 is a reply to message #71172] Wed, 01 February 2012 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, True. I read about 5-10 books per month not including reference works that take a lot longer. Smile

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Technology [message #71534 is a reply to message #71147] Sat, 25 February 2012 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AdrianG is currently offline  AdrianG
Baron
spinright wrote on Mon, 30 January 2012 17:49
How do you feel about the leap technology has taken? It makes me incredibly sad to know my kids will view books and land-line phones as ancient.

I'm not really sad about items like land-line phones. I don't see any particular reason to miss those.

I agree with you about things like books though. I don't think people will ever give up reading novels, but I hope e-readers like the Kindle don't completely take over the market.
Re: Technology [message #71552 is a reply to message #71534] Mon, 27 February 2012 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
AdrianG wrote on Sat, 25 February 2012 17:40
spinright wrote on Mon, 30 January 2012 17:49

I'm not really sad about items like land-line phones. I don't see any particular reason to miss those.

I agree with you about things like books though. I don't think people will ever give up reading novels, but I hope e-readers like the Kindle don't completely take over the market.

My mother misses landlines and wishes I had one. Whenever we talk on the phone, she complains about the sound quality and dropped call issues. I understand what she means but it gets old hearing the same complaint every week.
Re: Technology [message #71553 is a reply to message #71552] Mon, 27 February 2012 13:41 Go to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Funny, I only keep a land line so I have a number for the business calls and to use when someone (like a bank, business, doctor etc) insists on having one. I check the caller ID when that phone rings and about 85% of the time let the answering machine deal with it. Evil or Very Mad I don't give my cell number to very many people. Just the ones I really do want to talk to. Smile

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: RCA Victor radio/record player
Next Topic: Acoustical Engineer Cartoon
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 00:07:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers