Home » Audio » General » Bonus Room - bad for sound? (I'm guessing from previous post this is a bad room design)
Bonus Room - bad for sound? [message #71457] Tue, 21 February 2012 23:20 Go to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
I'm attaching a picture. The roof is the part I'm referring to.

index.php?t=getfile&id=721&private=0
  • Attachment: DSC00219.JPG
    (Size: 197.22KB, Downloaded 1539 times)

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Bonus Room - bad for sound? [message #71464 is a reply to message #71457] Wed, 22 February 2012 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I guess that depends on the speakers. For me with Electrostatics, that have a bipolar radiation pattern, it might be just fine. For folks with ones that are more conventional it might be a real problem. I expect Wayne might chime in on this one as it is more in his arena.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Bonus Room - bad for sound? [message #71468 is a reply to message #71464] Wed, 22 February 2012 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I find that shape particularly bad at ceiling slap in the places where the incidence angle directs reflections from speakers towards the listener. Rooms like that are usually worst in the center of the room, where both angled sections are at right angles, as is the ceiling directly overhead. A similar situation happens in rooms with gently angled cathedral ceilings. They can make a sort of tinitus sounding ringing sound around 2/3rd the way from either wall.

An easy way to test it is to walk around in the room and clap. Do one single sharp clap and listen to the aftersound. You'll find some spots that ring really bad. That will give an indication of what I'm talking about. Then, if it's really bad, you can go a step further and put speakers where you (think) you want them, and play a recording of a similar sort of transient. Gunshot, fireworks or hand clap. A single works best, so you can listen for the ringing. Play this recording and walk around the room to see where it sounds best. You will find some spots that are better than others. You can also try different speaker placements. Naturally speakers with limited HF vertical beamwidth help a great deal.

Re: Bonus Room - bad for sound? [message #71489 is a reply to message #71468] Thu, 23 February 2012 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks to both of you. When someone was discussing ceilings in another post, I realized I had never even given them any thought.

I think Wayne's speakers are good at not sending sound up and down, but this room structure seems particularly bad to me. I'll do some clapping and see.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Bonus Room - bad for sound? [message #71527 is a reply to message #71457] Fri, 24 February 2012 21:56 Go to previous message
Master
I think we've settled on a house that has a room which is symmetrical and is a rectangle roughly 13 x 15 feet, with thick carpet.

Some time ago I read that the best room would be a rectangle with the main speakers on the shorter end. Also, that the left and right speakers should occupy the the left and right ends of a equilateral triangle, and that the best spot for the listener would be at the remaining corner of the triangle.

Additionally from what has been said, human hearing is not accustomed to sound from above. Therefore, placing surrounds in the ceiling is a bad idea.

Is that somewhat correct?

Floyd

Previous Topic: Sounds of Everyday Objects
Next Topic: RCA Victor radio/record player
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:13:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout