Home » Audio » Movies & Music » New Music
New Music [message #7144] Mon, 04 September 2006 06:40 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Tom Waits has a new album coming out in Nov. It will be a three record setcalled "Orphans,Brawlers, and Theives" or something like that. Over 35 songs; some new and some old. Start looking at the end of Oct. Should be good stuff.

I've been listening to the Red Hot Chili's cover album. They do songs from other bands in their own inimitable style; nice stuff.
Called ,"Under The Covers."
They do "Castles Made Of Sand", from Jimi. " Subterranean Homesick Blues." from Bobby D. Good stuff.

Old Music [message #7145 is a reply to message #7144] Thu, 07 September 2006 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I just got a remastered CD of 2nd LP by The Velvet Underground - "White Light / White Heat", originally released 1968.
It`s about a bunch of table-saw workers who visited some kind of obscure avangard cafe. Somebody put something in their drinks, and they decided to play some music instead of going to work. Or so. The rest is a history - this is a really a "reading-book" of every "alternative" band after them...
And yes, I`ve also got "Singles going steady" by Buzzcocks...originally 1979. Also "reading-book" of many new bands...

Re: Old Music [message #7146 is a reply to message #7145] Thu, 07 September 2006 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah I love the White light/white heat album. " Run Run Run". "All Tommorrows Parties." Good stuff. What did you think of The Last Great American Whale?

Re: Old Music [message #7147 is a reply to message #7146] Fri, 08 September 2006 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Those songs you mentioned are from their first studio LP. This, 2nd LP is without Nico, but still with John Cale. The 3rd and 4th studio albums ("The Velvet Underground", "Loaded") are without him, replaced with Doug Yule, and in somewhat different feeling, less "avantgarde".
"The Last Great American Whale" from "NY" album is one of Lou Reed`s political songs...and I don`t like most of them too much. Sometimes he is brilliant, but sometimes pretentious and boring, IMO. He is a much better in 3 chords wonders like "Dirty Blvd" - and I remember this album for that fantastic G-D-A-D riff.
Hey, John Cale has a few very good albums lately, "Hobosapiens" - for example.

Re: New Music [message #7151 is a reply to message #7144] Sat, 09 September 2006 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
Mr Waits is great. Yesterday, I went with my cousin & nephew for a gig with a Danish band, Bone Machine. They play Tom Waits, and do a great job of it

Re: New Music [message #7152 is a reply to message #7151] Sat, 09 September 2006 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
WoW; a Tom Waits cover band? Where in the world are you located BTW?

Re: New Music [message #7153 is a reply to message #7152] Sat, 09 September 2006 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
Denmark. Mr Waits have some connections with my country. The song "Tom Trauberts Blues" (from "Small Change", 1976) has the sub-title 'four sheeds to the wind in Copenhagen', Copenhagen being our capitol. This is the song Rod Stewart covered with great success some years back - though I still maintain Tom Waits make Stewart sound like a twelve year old school girl... Waits' version of the classic play 'Woychec' was set up in Copenhagen by an American director, with Mr Waits assisting. It was done with Danish actors, singing and playing in English - the play has toured all over the world. Tom Waits own album with the songs is titled "Blood Money", came out about the same time as "Alice". I guess you can tell I'm a fan!

We have quite a bunch of cover bands here - there's one called The Frank Zappa Live Experience. As long as they cover great music in a good way.

Re: New Music [message #7164 is a reply to message #7144] Sat, 16 September 2006 11:44 Go to previous message
Blooze is currently offline  Blooze
Esquire
Picked up a copy of Alligator's 20th anniversary double CD and John Mayall's "Wake Up Call" at the local used shop this morning. For John's newer stuff this has always been one of my favorites as it has Mavis Staples, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, and Mick Taylor playing on it.

Previous Topic: Jacqui Naylor and Obbligatos
Next Topic: Two New Albums
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 13:31:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout