Home » Audio » General » Irritating Sounds
Irritating Sounds [message #71378] Thu, 16 February 2012 09:53 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
What sounds put your teeth on edge? My daughter was using a pencil to erase something, but the eraser was worn down so the metal edges scraped the paper. Ugh!
Re: Irritating Sounds [message #71387 is a reply to message #71378] Thu, 16 February 2012 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carson is currently offline  Carson
Chancellor
Static on my car radio, makes me want to drive off the road. I drive in the boon docks a lot, and sometimes it takes me forever to find a station that is not static.
Re: Irritating Sounds [message #71390 is a reply to message #71378] Thu, 16 February 2012 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, A dentist's drill. Shocked

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Irritating Sounds [message #71432 is a reply to message #71378] Mon, 20 February 2012 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
This isn't a specific sound but it irritates the hell out of me.
Sometimes, when I put a new CD on, the recording volume is so high, that I have to go from my usual volume setting of -8 to -10 db to -25 db or so.

I think they record them that way so they will play loudly on car stereos or cheap radios. Recorded hot in other words, so that a particular song stands out from the rest.

I know they used to do that on vinyl, and it is easily done on CDs.

Another sound is the tractor-pull, blat, blat exhaust from most Harleys. I ride a sport bike, and it has a moderate exhaust volume, except under heavy acceleration. I certainly don't feel the need to keep racing the engine at a stop light. I think it is part of the notice me, I'm so cool, thing.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Irritating Sounds [message #71460 is a reply to message #71378] Wed, 22 February 2012 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AdrianG is currently offline  AdrianG
Baron
I've always had a weird thing with Styrofoam. When I was a kid the sound of it drove me crazy. I can tolerate it a little better now, but it still irritates me a little bit.
Re: Irritating Sounds [message #71470 is a reply to message #71460] Wed, 22 February 2012 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
How about people who insist on popping those bubble rap sheets.
Makes you want to suffocate them. LOL.

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Irritating Sounds [message #71500 is a reply to message #71470] Thu, 23 February 2012 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
FloydV wrote on Wed, 22 February 2012 21:13

Remind me not to do that around you then. Very Happy I get great pleasure in popping bubble wrap; there's something so satisfying about that.

I understand the Styrofoam aversion though.
Re: Irritating Sounds [message #71501 is a reply to message #71500] Thu, 23 February 2012 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Yeah, I like to do it too. It's the other people who won't stop it Smile Kind of like when my music is loud I'm happy. If I'm trying to sleep and I hear someone else...LOL

Re: Irritating Sounds [message #71834 is a reply to message #71470] Sun, 18 March 2012 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
FloydV wrote on Wed, 22 February 2012 20:13

Haha, you would kill me, lol, because I have an addiction to popping bubble wrap!

Seriously though, I can't stand the sound of someone flicking one fingernail directly up under the other. Also, beetles flying around and hitting a hard plastic lamp shade with their shells (which is happening as we speak, ugh) and the sound silverware makes when it scrapes against your plate!
Irritating Sounds [message #71839 is a reply to message #71834] Sun, 18 March 2012 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
OK, hear is one that makes me flinch, literally. A hard beatle or other insect hitting my face shield when I'm doing about 160 or so on my bike.

It sounds like a gunshot, and will actually leave a deep scratch (along with but guts) on the plastic. Oh well, at least they are DEAD bug guts!

Floyd

The guy with the blue and silver Hayabusa that scared the crap out of you when he wove around your car like a missle. LOL

Previous Topic: Server Migration
Next Topic: Ear buds from China?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:17:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout