Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Favorite Music--Again.
Re: John Mayall [message #7134 is a reply to message #7133] Sat, 02 September 2006 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You like the blues I take it? How about Keri Leigh? And the Blue Devils? She's great. Terraplane Blues ; by Rory Block? She sounds a lot like Charley Patton; with that slap beat on the one. Best female slide player i've heard yet.

Re: John Mayall [message #7135 is a reply to message #7134] Sat, 02 September 2006 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Keri Leigh has an incredible vocal range. The only CD I've got left of her's is " No Beginner". I've heard Rory, but again, just never went and bought some. Pretty typical of me. That's why I'm asking questions. Figure if I could buy 1-2 CD's a month I'd have some new music to listen to.

Re: Favorite Music--Again. [message #7136 is a reply to message #7128] Sat, 02 September 2006 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I have several of their earlier albums and like them all. The one that chronicles all the band's changes is pretty good. I like them better after they got a drummer. I also heard one of their later releases a while back it sounded great. I noticed that Maddy's voice wont go as high anymore but she's still crystalline clear as ever.

I have a blues album that most blues fans turn their noses up at. It's Aerosmiths Honkin on Bobo. It's the most energetic album I've ever heard. Joe Perry is a damn good guitar player. A lot better than I ever gave him credit for. For a non-blues band they sound pretty good on several songs. I can't play that cd at normal volume. I just turn it up and enjoy.

Manual, look for a album by Jon Mark and Mark Almond. It's called Mark-Almond and was recorded in a church in the Bay Area I believe. It's really nice to listen to and the acoustics of the church make the music really full sounding.

Re: Favorite Music--Again. [message #7137 is a reply to message #7136] Sat, 02 September 2006 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Honkin' on Bobo is a good album. Joe doesn't get a lot of credit for his guitar playing. I think because he sometimes sounds sloppy. But hey, so does Jimmy Page. Joe grew up playing the blues from what I've read.

I was reading the liner notes to my Mayall compilation and a Jon Mark and Jonnie Almond played with him early on. Same guys?

Re: Favorite Music--Again. [message #7138 is a reply to message #7137] Sat, 02 September 2006 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Yep same guys. I haven't heard anything about them for years.

Re: Favorite Music--Again. [message #7139 is a reply to message #7138] Sat, 02 September 2006 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Mark-Almond has always been a favorite album of mine. The longer ethnic sax solos have a nicely hypnotic tone i find soothing. It's one of those albums that seem to get lost in the sauce except by a few hard-core devotees or guys who find it by accident. Nice choice.
So what next? Today I played the second Bloodrock album; the one with D.O.A. on it. Remmember that one?
And rocking guitar and drum albums; but of course; the Cactus album with Tim Bogart from Humble Pie and the best rock drummer outside of Bonham ever; Carmine Appice. You might remmember him from the Beck, Bogart and Appice album. He had the fastest feet in drum history and many fine drummers still study his licks.
Try "Let Me Swim In Your Ocean". Now thats a hard-core shuffle-beat if there ever was one.

Re: John Mayall [message #7140 is a reply to message #7135] Sat, 02 September 2006 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Her stuff is on Amazon used. Try Mommas Blues.

Re: John Mayall [message #7143 is a reply to message #7133] Sun, 03 September 2006 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If this thread had run about 6 months ago I certainly would have mentioned The Turning Point as I was playing it over and over.

In My All Time All Album Top Five
(along with 10 or 15 others)

Funny, I have the Mark-Almond album but can't get into it.

Re:Carmine Appice [message #7154 is a reply to message #7139] Wed, 13 September 2006 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Vanilla Fudge, right?
Being an album of covers made it less than a classic but the music-making was some of the best at the time.

Re:Carmine Appice [message #7161 is a reply to message #7154] Fri, 15 September 2006 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
But of course! I cant say I liked all of the albums but songs like "You Keep Me Hangin On" are true gemms of the genre.
Carmine still plays; he used to do drum clinics and teach after the last band died but he is back on the playing circuit with another band; not sure of the name.

Previous Topic: Bob Dylan
Next Topic: Battle of the album covers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 16:29:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout