Home » xyzzy » Tower » The Future of Capitalism
The Future of Capitalism [message #71113] Thu, 26 January 2012 19:13 Go to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Capitalism is under fire by liberals lately because it no longer seems to provide the upward mobility that made is so valuable in the past. Lately income levels for all but the very rich are shrinking. My liberal friends tell me we need to increase taxes on the rich and regulate big business, especially the banks. My conservative friends tell me we should reduce taxes for everybody, cut govt spending, and provide a less regulated environment so businesses can prosper and create more jobs.

There is a kernel of truth to both sides' arguements, but both seem one-sided, simplistic, and imbalanced to me. After all, we all know it's teachers that caused the great recession we're now enjoying. Laughing

Somebody pointed me toward this more balanced discussion of capitalism, which I found very interesting: http://business.time.com/2012/01/19/how-to-save-capitalism/

Re: The Future of Capitalism [message #71115 is a reply to message #71113] Fri, 27 January 2012 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Very good article, Fred. Thanks for linking it here.

Re: The Future of Capitalism [message #71346 is a reply to message #71113] Fri, 10 February 2012 17:05 Go to previous message
musicmanmax is currently offline  musicmanmax
Esquire
I feel that if we let companies have all the freedom they want, true it may open new jobs but it'll make the people who run/work for small businesses lose the jobs they already have when their companies get killed off by the big corporations, and then they'll have to get jobs too so we'll be right back where we started. Plus I'm not very elite so I wouldn't want to live in an elitist society.
Previous Topic: The controversy surrounding Obama's birth control policy
Next Topic: Coupons - are they worth it?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:28:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio