Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi - Horn to middle of baffle?
4 Pi - Horn to middle of baffle? [message #71303] Wed, 08 February 2012 19:58 Go to next message
audiothings
Chancellor
Hello,

If I wanted to use the 4 Pi for LCR duties, is there is any way for me to bring the horn to the middle of the baffle directly above the LF driver, for the center channel? I understand that the woofer being slightly offset from the center will probably not be a big problem sonically, but I'd like to know anyway...

Thanks,
Jai Shankar.
Re: 4 Pi - Horn to middle of baffle? [message #71304 is a reply to message #71303] Wed, 08 February 2012 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It won't fit there in the ported version; However, some have built a sealed version for center channel duty:
Re: 4 Pi - Horn to middle of baffle? [message #71305 is a reply to message #71304] Wed, 08 February 2012 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audiothings
Chancellor
Thank you Wayne. Nice.

Did you mod the crossover to compensate for 1/2 space loading?

Will this amp be a good match for the LCRs... the room will be 18 x 27'...
Re: 4 Pi - Horn to middle of baffle? [message #71312 is a reply to message #71305] Thu, 09 February 2012 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That amp looks like it would work well.

All my speakers are designed for halfspace, except those designed for corner loading. However, the truth is they're so large that the transition happens below the Schroeder frequency, making this fact rather academic. See the link below, and the links contained therein:
Re: 4 Pi - Horn to middle of baffle? [message #71315 is a reply to message #71303] Thu, 09 February 2012 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rkeman is currently offline  rkeman
Viscount
The Emotiva amplifier linked would be suitable for the 4Pi in terms of power, but may not be the best choice due to its relatively high gain structure (32db). High gain amplifiers emphasize source noise and often have fairly high self noise that can be a problem with high sensitivity speakers such as the 4Pi. Power amplifier gain has steadily increased over the past decade from the de facto standard of 26db to as much as 10db more as low output preamplifiers (passives and some AV receiver pre outs) have become more prevalent.
Re: 4 Pi - Horn to middle of baffle? [message #71316 is a reply to message #71303] Thu, 09 February 2012 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audiothings
Chancellor
Thank you rkeman. Being the third world cheapskate that I am, I was looking at an option that appeared solid and affordable. I want balanced inputs, BTW. With the Emotiva, I was hoping to power the entire system (3 x 4 Pi LCR + 6 JBL 6320 Surrounds + JBL 3635 sub) at about $1600. I suppose the budget can go up marginally... is there any product you know of that would fit the bill?

Thanks again,

Re: 4 Pi - Horn to middle of baffle? [message #71349 is a reply to message #71303] Fri, 10 February 2012 19:28 Go to previous message
rkeman is currently offline  rkeman
Viscount
The Class D Audio series digital amplifiers are available as kits or completed units and should fit your need for high performance low cost with balanced inputs. The amplifiers can include gain (volume) controls that will allow you to trim levels as desired. Other options are more expensive unless pre-owned equipment or home theater receivers are considered.
Previous Topic: 18mm Baltic Birch for 1pi: Quick Question
Next Topic: Powering my PI Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 03:35:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout