Home » Audio » General » sharing info
sharing info [message #709] Thu, 05 August 2004 19:00 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
It's nice to have the tremendous amount of information on the web unfortunately you can't take it into the john to read. We need to keep these print media working. AudioeXpress serves a great function in bringing all aspects and skill levels pertaining to our thing together in one pakage. V.T.V., by virtue of existing in a permanent print media stands to provide the most comprehensive bible of tube electronics ever produced. The fact that they choose to comitt to print establishes their integrity since all facts are hanging right there in the open for all to challenge as they wish. I for one feel comfortable acting on information obtained in there and the deep comittment to thorough and accurate tube data provides all of us with valuable and exhaustive tools with which to learn and design.
So keep up the good work all you print guys. J.R.
The audio rags are great picture books.( Once read in A.S. That an amp had "Caramel Colorations", damn I wish I had thought of that. My amp has butter pecan colorations.)

Kudos to the guys in print [message #710 is a reply to message #709] Thu, 05 August 2004 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I agree with you, John. I'm comfortable with computers and online documentation but I love having printed material in my hands and getting away from the screen.

Kudos to the guys in print.

Re: sharing info [message #712 is a reply to message #709] Fri, 06 August 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The web is a great way to share information, but there are two major problems when compared to print:

The first is the question of longevity. Web information is not permanent. How many times have you bookmarked a site only to come back at a later date and find the link no longer exists? Essentially this information is gone and can no longer be retrieved.

The second, and more important in terms of information credibility, is the process of peer review. I assume (insert comments here) that when I read a printed article the manuscript was reviewed and edited for technical correctness before being published. This is almost never the case in virtual world.

Re: sharing info [message #713 is a reply to message #709] Fri, 06 August 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Absolutely and Colin's point that printed materials usually have some sort of regulation through peer review helps to establish it's authenticity to a much greater degree than cyberspace.

Re: sharing info [message #714 is a reply to message #709] Fri, 06 August 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spnman is currently offline  spnman
Chancellor
You mean you don't believe everything you read on the internet?

Re: sharing info [message #715 is a reply to message #714] Fri, 06 August 2004 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Why?...should I?? I'm so confused.

Re: sharing info [message #716 is a reply to message #715] Fri, 06 August 2004 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spnman is currently offline  spnman
Chancellor
LOL

"Internet Lies and Other Hype" [message #719 is a reply to message #709] Sat, 07 August 2004 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
John,

You must read the article of this name written by Eric Barbour in Vacuum Tube Valley Issue 14. You'll have to pick it up as a back issue, but it's worth it. I think you'll get a big kick out of this article.

Wayne

Re: "Internet Lies and Other Hype" [message #720 is a reply to message #719] Sat, 07 August 2004 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Wayne Yeah; I read that over several times. It's true every word as well as LOL funny. Especially the description of Silicon Valley types. Thats why I love that mag. The only thing is it is gonna take many moons to absorb all the info in the articles. I just hope they stay in business. Their rebuild kits are pretty good deal also; I did a SCA 35 with one. The alpha male thing; with their sycophants, ain't it the truth! TTYL J.R.

Re: sharing info [message #721 is a reply to message #712] Sat, 07 August 2004 23:25 Go to previous message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
For lost links or expired websites or items withdrawn for
various reasons, go to The Wayback Machine. It's maintained
by the American Library Association and it's pretty big.

Check it out.

Previous Topic: Class A discussion in Electronics World mag.
Next Topic: Subs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 19:47:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout