Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » horns for a small room
horns for a small room [message #71149] Mon, 30 January 2012 20:28 Go to next message
toadyred2 is currently offline  toadyred2
Esquire
greeting to gary and all members. newb here Smile

i had a chance to listen to a friend's khorns over the weekend and they were...STUNNING! as we were discussing the feasibility of acquiring/building horns for my small system, pi speakers was the first thing that he mentioned.

so i googled pi speakers, looked for the forum and here i am Smile.

my listening space (which doubles as a living room of sorts hehe) is challenging to say the least. a lot of clutter, a false corner, etc etc.

anyways, here are a couple of snaps...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/ramble_on/DSC_0217.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/ramble_on/DSC_0220.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/ramble_on/DSC_0215.jpg

length of the room is 14.5 ft and the wall at the back of the speakers is 10.25 ft.

my friend suggested that i check out either the 4 pi or the 8 pi.

wayne my first question would be, considering the small and cluttered listening area, will horns be a feasible replacement for my OBs? if there's something i miss in the khorns, it's the energy and emotion.

if all goes well, i will initially try to find a local source for the drivers (am from the philippines btw), otherwise i will need to order the kit and have the cabs done locally.

everyone's advice would be highly appreciated.

equipment:

altec 403a in OB (inspired by the JE Labs OB)
2a3 SE
12au7 pre
thorens td-320 and technics SL1200
12ax7 phono pre
sony 227esd cdp
diy dac tower (on loan from a friend)

thanks for looking

cheers

jay
Re: horns for a small room [message #71153 is a reply to message #71149] Mon, 30 January 2012 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You could use six π or seven π cornerhorns in that room. The room is probably a bit small, but in spite of that, your layout is actually is pretty good for constant directivity cornerhorns. And while they are large speakers, being tucked back into corners, they seem to take up almost no floor space. I would probably move the couch back a little bit, so it is just behind where the forward axes cross.
Re: horns for a small room [message #71156 is a reply to message #71153] Mon, 30 January 2012 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toadyred2 is currently offline  toadyred2
Esquire
hi wayne and thanks for the reply but aren't the 6s and 7s cornerhorns?

the right OB doesn't have a corner since the area leads to other rooms.

unless you meant that i use the corners of the long side of the room?

thanks
Re: horns for a small room [message #71157 is a reply to message #71156] Tue, 31 January 2012 00:22 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, the six π and the seven π are both constant directivity cornerhorns. They are not dipoles. I was suggesting that you use them instead of open baffle speakers. Looks like constant directivity cornerhorns would work nicely for you, one on each side of the window, in the corners. I think it would sound much better, especially since dipoles really need some space behind them to work properly.

Previous Topic: Crossover upgrades
Next Topic: Another Sub woofer Q&A
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:35:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout