Home » Audio » Home Theater » Drapes or Curtains
Drapes or Curtains [message #70974] Thu, 12 January 2012 23:40 Go to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
A friend of mine is working out his home theater. He asks me which would be a better thing to place on his windows. I said it is better to have drapes as the sound of his home theater won't affect his neighbors. He likes to have curtains as drapes looks too heavy for him. Is my advice correct?
Re: Drapes or Curtains [message #70975 is a reply to message #70974] Thu, 12 January 2012 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Curtains (or drapes) are effective at very high frequencies, but not lower. I find them to be useful for catching the "grazing blow" of the ipsilateral wall reflection of a speaker toed-in 45°, but only at high-frequencies. It's a very specialized case, I know, but it's useful for that. Perfect for catching the edge of any remnant of HF reflection from constant directivity cornerhorns. Not really useful for anything else.

Re: Drapes or Curtains [message #71042 is a reply to message #70974] Thu, 19 January 2012 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Drapes would do a better job at the higher frequencies than curtains, I would think, but Wayne's right, the low frequencies would travel and potentially disturb the neighbors anyway.
Re: Drapes or Curtains [message #71046 is a reply to message #70974] Fri, 20 January 2012 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lancelot is currently offline  Lancelot
Viscount
So is there something we can do for low frequencies? I love vibrations but I don't want my neighbor knocking on my door because of my pleasure.
Re: Drapes or Curtains [message #71054 is a reply to message #71046] Fri, 20 January 2012 09:43 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

To absorb bass frequencies, you'll need a panel absorber, like this:
Previous Topic: Kids room
Next Topic: New Entertainment Center
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 18:38:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio