Home » Audio » General » Parametric Equalizer (Who sells them)
Parametric Equalizer [message #70960] Thu, 12 January 2012 08:02 Go to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
I'm looking for a 20 to 30 band parametric amplifier. I've seen some junk 7 band ones for car audio, but the only 30 band I can find is for sale to retailers (as buy in bulk).

I want to insert in between my pre-out, amp in connections.

Anyone who can point me to a link? I would guess these aren't cheap.

Thanks,

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Parametric Equalizer [message #70965 is a reply to message #70960] Thu, 12 January 2012 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Since you are asking for a twenty or thirty band EQ, I think you really mean to ask about graphic equalizers. They are the ones that have multiple fixed-frequency log-spaced bands, each one controlling the gain or loss of that band. Parametric equalizers usually have fewer number of bands, but the center frequency and bandwidth of each is adjustable as well as gain/loss. I prefer parametric, by the way.

Re: Parametric Equalizer [message #71044 is a reply to message #70960] Thu, 19 January 2012 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The only 20-30 band parametric Eq's I've ever heard of was made by a company called White Insturments. They went out of business around the mid to late 80's. There's maybe a few on the used market but you'll pay hi $$$ for them still today. Everybody that I heard of that owns one will never give it up, even though they're old eq's.

Look around there's good 5-7 bands per channel parametric eq's market, and if the filter freq. covers a wide range you can combine the 2 channels and have a 10-14 band parametric eq., then it's just a matter of adjusting the Q of the different freq. bands filter. Even though you would have to purchase a second eq. for 10-14 bands in stereo.

Bill
Re: Parametric Equalizer [message #71052 is a reply to message #71044] Fri, 20 January 2012 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You will find them in pro audio equipment. Most have balanced or 1/4" inputs and outputs, so you would need to get some RCA/Balanced adapters. http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=210

In my experience the lower priced ones do effect the sound negatively. I tried the Behringer DEQ2496 and found the soundstage collapsed with it in the signal path. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-661

I finally settled on a dbx DriveRack PA+, which also functions as an active crossover, and it has a minimal effect on the sound quality in a mid priced system. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=246-171

If you want this for room correction it might be a good buy. If you want it to boost the midbass for a boomy subwoofer sound, buy an inexpensive boomy subwoofer instead.
Re: Parametric Equalizer [message #71086 is a reply to message #70960] Tue, 24 January 2012 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks guys. I just found these in the spam filter my IP forces on me. Next year, this IP is gone. I have my own virus and spam filters. And I don't need Cableone pawing through my email.

I agree, I think I want a graphic equalizer. I don't like THX setting everything without the allowing any changes.

Can I put a graphic equalizer between my pre-out and my main amp in?

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Parametric Equalizer [message #71088 is a reply to message #71086] Wed, 25 January 2012 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
FloydV wrote on Tue, 24 January 2012 22:23
Can I put a graphic equalizer between my pre-out and my main amp in?

Floyd

Yes, that's the most common placement because it enables you to use the equalizer with every source component that's connected to the preamp inputs.
Re: Parametric Equalizer [message #71100 is a reply to message #71052] Wed, 25 January 2012 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
AudioFred wrote on Fri, 20 January 2012 06:18
You will find them in pro audio equipment. Most have balanced or 1/4" inputs and outputs, so you would need to get some RCA/Balanced adapters. http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=210

In my experience the lower priced ones do effect the sound negatively. I tried the Behringer DEQ2496 and found the soundstage collapsed with it in the signal path. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-661

I finally settled on a dbx DriveRack PA+, which also functions as an active crossover, and it has a minimal effect on the sound quality in a mid priced system. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=246-171

If you want this for room correction it might be a good buy. If you want it to boost the midbass for a boomy subwoofer sound, buy an inexpensive boomy subwoofer instead.

Ouch, $500. And you say the $300 gave poor results. No, I don't want to adjust the base. Some fine adjustments in the mid and upper registers.

Re: Parametric Equalizer [message #71101 is a reply to message #71088] Wed, 25 January 2012 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I thought that would work, hence the removable bus.

It irritates me that my Pioneer Receiver will show me page after page of tweeks to each speaker, but won't let me change even one.

Floyd

Re: Parametric Equalizer [message #71102 is a reply to message #70965] Wed, 25 January 2012 17:04 Go to previous message
Master
I probably don't need 30 bands, I'll bet 8 would do.

F

Previous Topic: Watches With MP3
Next Topic: Earbud Covers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 18:49:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout