Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3 or 4pi for HT LCR and flat-packs?
3 or 4pi for HT LCR and flat-packs? [message #70932] Mon, 09 January 2012 18:25 Go to next message
chris.berryman is currently offline  chris.berryman
Esquire
Good afternoon,

Wayne, I wanted to say up front that I appreciate all the work you've done in making these designs available and I look forward to being able to build them in the near future.

For use in a home theater as left,right and center would you suggest the 3 or 4 pi speakers? Unless advised otherwise I would be using the standard 80hz crossover.

I see on your website that the flat-pack of the 12pi is an option for purchase, do you offer 3 or 4 pi flat-packs?

I would also like to ask for the plan for these speakers.

Thanks in advance for your time,
Chris
Re: 3 or 4pi for HT LCR and flat-packs? [message #70933 is a reply to message #70932] Mon, 09 January 2012 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll send plans but first decide which model you prefer. There are some threads here that discuss the differences, so look through them, decide which model you want, and let me know. I'll send plans right out.
We do not make flat pack kits for any models except the midhorn and the 12π hornsub. The horns make sense to cut on a CNC machine, and are worth paying the shipping costs. But the rest of the line use simple cabinets, just a box with some holes cut in it. They're simple enough any competent cabinet shop and even many lumber yards can make the cust for a nominal fee. So it's cheaper to buy locally than to pay shipping for what would be large and heavy flat pack kits.

As for crossover, I do not suggets that high-pass be used for the mains, just low-pass the subs. This is different than what you would do for prosound, but the reason is we we're wanting multiple bass sound sources for modal smoothing. More information here:
Re: 3 or 4pi for HT LCR and flat-packs? [message #70936 is a reply to message #70933] Mon, 09 January 2012 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chris.berryman is currently offline  chris.berryman
Esquire
Thanks for your quick response.

I think I'll go with the 4 pi using the upgraded drivers. Is the crossover an item you stock or is their a build time associated with an order?

Thanks, Chris
Re: 3 or 4pi for HT LCR and flat-packs? [message #70937 is a reply to message #70936] Mon, 09 January 2012 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We have some crossovers on the shelf. Others we build at the time of the order. We do stock all the items to build the crossovers, so even if we have to build them, it only takes a week or ten days. We usually have the crossovers done in a day or two, actually, but the silicon adhesive we use to mount and cushion the coil needs a week to ten days to cure.

The problem right now is the woofers. Obtaining new JBL 2226 woofers has become a real slow process. Supply has just plain dried up. I used to be able to count on replenishments to arrive in days. Worst case would be a week or two. But the last couple of months deliveries have stopped, and I've been waiting on replenishments literally for months now. So one should expect lead times on the order of three to six months.

Re: 3 or 4pi for HT LCR and flat-packs? [message #70942 is a reply to message #70937] Tue, 10 January 2012 06:47 Go to previous message
rkeman is currently offline  rkeman
Viscount
Supply has become an issue on many mechanical and electrical parts in the past few years. With so much industrial production moving out of the country, once common items have become difficult or impossible to obtain. Quality has also drifted down significantly in many areas. JBL shuttered production of its Northridge California facility shifting the work to Mexico and the current driver shortage likely stems form this. Just as importantly, many of the components used in a loudspeaker driver are only made in China and that supply line has become increasingly tenuous. Making America a place to build the things the world needs and wants really should to be a priority for our society in the coming years.
Previous Topic: Subs as 3pi stands?
Next Topic: 1Pi, 2Pi and 2Pi Tower Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:31:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout