Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Which site do you download music from?
Re: Which site do you download music from? [message #7092 is a reply to message #7088] Sun, 13 August 2006 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes thats true; but on some level the better artists prevailed. Not so anymore. Any thoughts on why?

Re: Which site do you download music from? [message #7093 is a reply to message #7092] Mon, 14 August 2006 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
telegraph.hill is currently offline  telegraph.hill
Viscount
I think that there are a lot of good artists around now. And there always was rubbish in the past as well.

I don't think that there was any "good old days" of music.

Re: Which site do you download music from? [message #7094 is a reply to message #7074] Tue, 15 August 2006 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I downloaded some music at Limewire. First time ever.
Seems like a lot of winking and nodding over licenses and copyrights.
There are gaps in the music and, altho' I haven't tried using Nero to convert to CD's, my halfway decent PC Polk speakers are telling me the quality of the MP3 isn't too good.

The downloads will give me reason to buy the music or not. I missed the 80's and am now digging Dire Straits Brothers In Arms

Re: Which site do you download music from? [message #7095 is a reply to message #7094] Wed, 16 August 2006 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I'll probably give Lime Wire a go.

This one is interesting

http://www.pandora.com/

They play you a variety of music depending upon your musical tastes.

Yes, the eighties was very good for music - a lot of people say that they like eighties music, even if it was not the music of their generation.

Dire Straits were good.

Re: This just in: [message #7097 is a reply to message #7094] Wed, 16 August 2006 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I downloaded Bearshare which gives you pop-up ads, although not too many and a tool bar easily put away.
Download speeds are waaay faster than Limewire and searches yield more choices.

Re: This just in: [message #7098 is a reply to message #7097] Thu, 17 August 2006 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I tried them both. Niether one had " Songs From The Zodiac", or the original,"Geronimos Cadillac".
Bearshare has been around longer than Limewire. Everyone switched to Limewire for the same reason you cite. They must upgrade periodically back and forth.

Re: Which site do you download music from? [message #7099 is a reply to message #7093] Thu, 17 August 2006 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
At the risk of sounding naive' I must say that there are lulls in musical quality. Remmember Pat Boone? Or How Much Is That Doggy In The Window? Both top ten hits in the fifties.
But I do believe that the slow absorbtion of outlets into large corporate art delivery companies has had a chilling effect on music quality lately.

Re: Which site do you download music from? [message #7103 is a reply to message #7099] Sat, 19 August 2006 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
There is a tendency towards monopoly, with one company swallowing up another, until you end up with just one or two big powerful companies. Is this what you mean?

Re: Which site do you download music from? [message #7105 is a reply to message #7085] Mon, 21 August 2006 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew wee is currently offline  andrew wee
Esquire
think torrents are pretty good for music.
you can find complete albums, and collections.
torrentz.com is a good search engine and bitcomet (at bitcomet.com) is a decent client.

i hear that limewire contains scads of adware and spyware.
can probably use spybot search and destroy to scan your system for spyware.
take note though, that once the spyware has been removed, i've heard reports that the program will stop working too.

Re: Which site do you download music from? [message #7110 is a reply to message #7103] Mon, 21 August 2006 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes; and remmember as that company gradually grows in size and influence it begins to gain authority over many other aspects of the business. They can say who can play which arenas and who gets promoted in which states etc.

Previous Topic: dead man's chest
Next Topic: FX movies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 14:18:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout