Home » Audio » Radio » Drive-In movies and the radio
Drive-In movies and the radio [message #70807] Wed, 04 January 2012 16:08 Go to next message
LoveJB is currently offline  LoveJB
Master
Ever been to a Drive-In movie? The ones around here you have to listen to the movie through your radio. I don't know how they do it (Drive-In) but they get a radio station and they broadcast the movie on it. It's usually a local AM station. I wonder if you can hear the movie if you are not at the drive-in.
Re: Drive-In movies and the radio [message #70832 is a reply to message #70807] Thu, 05 January 2012 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Oh goodness, I haven't been to a drive-in movie since I was a kid. I don't even know where any are anymore. Since the one near you broadcasts over an AM channel, I don't see why you couldn't hear it elsewhere, as long as you are still in range.
Re: Drive-In movies and the radio [message #70835 is a reply to message #70832] Thu, 05 January 2012 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, The last drive in anywhere near here was torn down over 10 years ago. A real shame. We all used to have such a good time at them. Smile

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Drive-In movies and the radio [message #70836 is a reply to message #70835] Thu, 05 January 2012 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The one we have in Tulsa broadcasts on the FM band. You can tune it in outside the area, but not too far because the signal is pretty weak. When you're pulling out of the parking lot it's already getting static and you can't hear it at all once you're about a half block away.

Re: Drive-In movies and the radio [message #70847 is a reply to message #70807] Thu, 05 January 2012 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LoveJB is currently offline  LoveJB
Master
That is what I was thinking too, that it gets weaker the farther you go. So I don't think you could listen to the movie anywhere but I was not sure. I love going to the drive-in! We go several times throughout the summer.
Re: Drive-In movies and the radio [message #70848 is a reply to message #70807] Thu, 05 January 2012 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NoWomanNoCry is currently offline  NoWomanNoCry
Chancellor
You can only hear the signal when you are actually at the Drive-in. The range is very limited. It's so much better than the old days when we used to have to be careful not to drive off with the speaker rolled up in the window.
Re: Drive-In movies and the radio [message #70864 is a reply to message #70848] Fri, 06 January 2012 18:01 Go to previous message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I haven't been to a drive-in since you had to have the speaker in the window, so I think broadcasting the sound over the radio is pretty cool. I can understand why the theater owners don't want much range though.
Previous Topic: The right crowds for the music
Next Topic: So much country!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:24:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout