Home » Audio » Radio » Static!
Static! [message #70693] Fri, 30 December 2011 19:19 Go to next message
Musicfan is currently offline  Musicfan
Chancellor
I can't stand the sound of any static when I'm listening to the radio. My kids don't mind a little bit of static. We tend to fight over this issue. As soon as I hear static, they know they have about 2 minutes to switch the radio station or the radio goes off. Are you the same?
Re: Static! [message #70696 is a reply to message #70693] Fri, 30 December 2011 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, if it's an FM station, once it starts getting static it's pretty well shot - time to change the channel. AM will fade in and out over a considerable distance, but once FM goes, it goes.

Re: Static! [message #70719 is a reply to message #70693] Sun, 01 January 2012 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rockstar is currently offline  Rockstar
Master
Same here, no static - no way! You are right on though, once you get static just change it. It won't get better. It's funny how you can pick up a station with no static 20 miles from the radio station and sometimes you can't pick it up right next to the station.

Let's chat!
Re: Static! [message #70725 is a reply to message #70719] Sun, 01 January 2012 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, What you say is true, and can be the result of multipath reflections. Not all FM receivers (especially newer ones) have the quality fronts ends needed to lock on the primary signal and provide a good signal to noise ratio. Standard cars radios which you would think ought to be good at this because they are moving are generally rather poor. I found a home unit that is quite excellent. It is a Sony XDR-F1HD. It is about the size of a large book and is BTW HD FM as well. There was an extensive write up on it about two years ago and it made the Stereophile A list and was runner up for best product. It excels at extracting high quality sound from very low level signal sources. With a 7 element yagi, I can get a number of Phoenix stations in Stereo (145 miles away) and dozens from Tucson (70 miles). The HD sub channels are nice. Clean, crisp and IMHO better than CD (but in all likelihood they are playing CDs Rolling Eyes ). Amazing for a sub $100 device.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Static! [message #72286 is a reply to message #70693] Fri, 20 April 2012 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
The only time I can tolerate static on the radio is when I'm on a long drive and not really in the mood for music, but don't want total silence either. I'll keep the volume down a bit and it really is a good kind of background noise.
Re: Static! [message #72318 is a reply to message #70693] Sun, 22 April 2012 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Csharp is currently offline  Csharp
Viscount
Static puts me to sleep on a good day and annoys me on a bad one. If I listen to the radio I'll make sure it's a station with a strong signal.
Re: Static! [message #72505 is a reply to message #70693] Thu, 03 May 2012 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freddy is currently offline  Freddy
Viscount
It's not a problem for me now, but I used to live in an area where many stations often had a little static. I think there was just too much local interference. I didn't usually listen to the radio very much due to this, but when I did I knew I couldn't expect much consistency.
Re: Static! [message #72596 is a reply to message #70693] Mon, 07 May 2012 13:51 Go to previous message
TurnItUp is currently offline  TurnItUp
Viscount
Static is actually all we can get when you try to listen to the radio in the house. It's really kind of strange because if you take a radio in the yard you can pick up a station with no problem.
Previous Topic: Radio Station Contests
Next Topic: Recording songs off the radio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 02:20:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout