Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » The Alpha 10: less filling...sounds great!
The Alpha 10: less filling...sounds great! [message #70604] Fri, 23 December 2011 17:19 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
index.php?t=getfile&id=662&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=663&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=664&private=0

Sure is easy to go from a larger to a smaller driver when the larger was recessed:lol: Pretty relaxing work on a rare day off, too.

Keee-rismas it's tiny! Compared to the 12" Utah or any of my 15s the Alpha seems like it'll float away. How does it do such bass with that teeny motor? After listening, and swapping back to the Utahs, the Alpha's better mid-range clarity is unquestioned.

I'm now certain a pair of Towers with the SB-29 tweeter will be killer.

Re: The Alpha 10: less filling...sounds great! [message #70606 is a reply to message #70604] Fri, 23 December 2011 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Looks great, Bill! That SB-29 really is pretty much a drop-in replacement for the DX-25, so it's another pretty rare bird. It's about twice as expensive, but still not nosebleed money, so I can see it as a pretty neat upgrade. I know you're stoked about it.

Good stuff there!

Utah 12" XC21 Driver [message #70608 is a reply to message #70606] Fri, 23 December 2011 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill and Wayne,

I found those drivers to measure better than they sound!

I use the WT2 (not pro) they do measure nicely enough:
Qts .25, Fs 25Hz, Vas 8 cu ft and 94db/watt, Re 3.4 ohms, BL 11 Le 1.5 Mh.

These results are after testing approx 6 units and averaging the results. Some of the drivers were very close and I could tell when a driver or two measured away from the rest of them.

I plan to try a pair of these out in a scaled down K-horn for 12" which will be one of my playtoys to mess with this winter. I can take my time tweaking the system. I plan on using a high efficiency 8" or 10" cone driver to bridge from approx 300-400hz up to 1200hz to 1600hz with a compression driver from there up.

I would be curious if someone ran the T/S for the Utah XC21 that I listed above into Pi-align to see what cabinet it would come up with, I'm betting its ported and small with higher Fb than Fs.

Regards, Ron
Re: Utah 12" XC21 Driver [message #70615 is a reply to message #70608] Sat, 24 December 2011 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ron, the 2 Utah drivers you sent most recently sound better, more clarity, than the original 2 and have deeper bass than the Alphas in the sealed boxes.

Winisd recommends about a 3.5 cu ft ported IIRC for the Utahs and that would be interesting, taking full advantage of the low Fs and bigger motor compared to the Alphas.

I had a wild hair about an WTW arrangement with the DE-250 between 2 Utahs run in series to get an 8 ohm sum.

Re: Utah 12" XC21 Driver [message #70635 is a reply to message #70615] Sun, 25 December 2011 16:33 Go to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill Epstein wrote on Sat, 24 December 2011 05:21
Ron, the 2 Utah drivers you sent most recently sound better, more clarity, than the original 2 and have deeper bass than the Alphas in the sealed boxes.

I had a wild hair about an WTW arrangement with the DE-250 between 2 Utahs run in series to get an 8 ohm sum.

I have doubts that you would arrive at a crossover point for a MTM (usually they use 3rd order 18/db oct) that would be high enough for the tweeter to blend in.

But you do have the parts and could try it out anyways.

Since this is strictly for experimental purposes I would add to try something "off the wall" and put a cap across the bottom driver and see what happens......?

Regards, Ron
Previous Topic: Merry Christmas
Next Topic: JBL 2226H question: is this right?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:13:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio