Home » Audio » General » I'll get on that right away
I'll get on that right away [message #703] Wed, 04 August 2004 13:22 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I received a letter from AudioXpress yesterday telling me to renew my subscription soon because it will expire in Mar 2005. Wow, these guys plan way in advance don't they?

Re: I'll get on that right away [message #704 is a reply to message #703] Wed, 04 August 2004 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
GarMan, Did you read the editorial in the the August 2004 issue? It sounds like there may be a financial crunch going on at aX. They are going to cut down on the number of pages published, and are encouraging (as they should) authors to specify sources for parts, for obvious reasons.

To be honest, I do not see how aX has set themselves apart from the web. Their articles are not that unique or are so technically out there as to be meaningless. Don't get me wrong, I want this magazine to be a success for many years to come (yes, I have a subscription for 4 years), but they must do more to set themselves apart. I suggested, via their web site survey, that they need to offer a value above and beyond their main competition - the web. I would like to see a beginners' corner where a step is taken back and the basics explained in detail - both in theory and construction. I think they can also solicite audio DIY web authors to submit articles and the editors help polish and improve the information being sold.

Sorry about the rant, but I think there is more to the early call for subscription than meets the eye......Regards, Colin

Re: I'll get on that right away [message #705 is a reply to message #704] Wed, 04 August 2004 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Colin,

I'm all for AudioXpress. They have some top-notch authors and I like their attention to detail and facts. So I just wanted to say kudos to them before I said anything else.

That said, check out Vacuum Tube Valley too. They're a sponsor here, so that's one thing about them, to be sure. But it's way more than that, they have some really great articles. I was really impressed.

I like magazines that are more technical than editorial. I like "hands on" stuff with schematics and tuners tips, stuff like that. So that tells you what kind of stuff I like, and if that's the way you are too, you'll probably like VTV magazine. Just my two cents.

Wayne

Re: I'll get on that right away [message #706 is a reply to message #705] Wed, 04 August 2004 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wayne, I hope I did not come off sounding too harsh about aX. I think it's a great magazine, and I will continue to subscribe. I agree, their articles are well written and insightful. I guess I'm just looking for something with a little more to offer the beginner, apart from what I can get on the web.

I will subscribe to VTV tomorrow, and I'll tell them where the recommendation came from.....Colin

Re: I'll get on that right away [message #707 is a reply to message #706] Wed, 04 August 2004 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I didn't think you were harsh at all, and I don't think anyone else would misunderstand you.
Same thing goes for Gar. March 2005 is just good planning.

I just think VTV is a good magazine, so I wanted to mention it.

Re: I'll get on that right away [message #711 is a reply to message #703] Thu, 05 August 2004 23:23 Go to previous message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

I've been a subscriber to _ax_ ne Speakerbuilder for
about 5 years.

Back then, before it was integrated with Glass Audio
and Audio Amateur it was aloty less "slick" meaning paper
quality was low, graphics were low and even the ad copy
was pretty primative.

Their cover layout still needs work.

But I'm writing because I too mentioned specific things
like the beginners corner for them to create. My anaology
was _Cook's Illustrated_ where each time they say "cut up a chicken"
there is a side bar with the procedure.

I like print a lot more than web pages. Compare it to
going up a ramp instead of stairs. Also with a collection
of mag.s you can thumb through them not really knowing
what you want. With web search it's much more choppy and there
is (for me at least) a retention factor of near zero.

I remember things I've seen in old issues of _aX_ more
readily than most any websearch. Even a large bookmark
file does not have the look and feel of print mags.

If _aX_ had to somehow make a dual subscription to their
online material I don't know if it would be better or worse.

What I cannot understand is how Ed Dell can be having these
problems with a very secure subscriber base, if not many
newsstand sales. I first found _aX_ accidentally at a Barnes
and Noble and then subscribed. But I don't see it at B&N
lately.

Previous Topic: Posting problem
Next Topic: Pioneer SX1250 or Kenwood KR9600?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 12:46:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio