Home » Audio » General » Smartphones and music
Smartphones and music [message #69786] Tue, 11 October 2011 21:00 Go to next message
Drury is currently offline  Drury
Baron
So I bought a smartphone, thinking it would mean I could use it as an MP3 player and not bother buying two things. But I find it drains the battery so fast it isn't worth it. Seems like I'll be shopping again sometime soon!
Re: Smartphones and music [message #69791 is a reply to message #69786] Tue, 11 October 2011 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes they certainly do drain the battery. Evil or Very Mad You might run an app like juice defender and turn off things you don't need to run. Set it for checking the web, email and such every 15 minutes and it may help. It should be possible to run the mp3 part with the screen on minimum and nothing else going.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Smartphones and music [message #69806 is a reply to message #69791] Sat, 15 October 2011 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drury is currently offline  Drury
Baron
gofar99 wrote on Tue, 11 October 2011 21:35
Hi, Yes they certainly do drain the battery. Evil or Very Mad You might run an app like juice defender and turn off things you don't need to run. Set it for checking the web, email and such every 15 minutes and it may help. It should be possible to run the mp3 part with the screen on minimum and nothing else going.

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely give them a try, and I have also found the second (spare) battery that came with it. It's worth carrying that as back up on longer journeys I guess.
Re: Smartphones and music [message #69862 is a reply to message #69806] Sun, 23 October 2011 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kripes is currently offline  Kripes
Chancellor
I've never been really into smart phones though I received one from my daughter when she upgraded but, to be honest, everything seems to drain the battery!
Re: Smartphones and music [message #69866 is a reply to message #69862] Sun, 23 October 2011 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, As earlier noted ... quite true. Most folks that leave them on continuously get about 8 hours of use before they need recharge. If you want constant updating and connectivity that's the cost. Mine (Samsung Epic 4G) goes about 48-60 hours between charges. That is using Juice Defender (free app) and having it only check for new messages and updates to GPS and all else every 15 minutes. It goes to sleep (except phone) at night from about 1 AM to 6 AM. The phone part is fully operational all the time so no missed calls. The side advantage to this is I don't have to answer texts and such all the time, only at intervals. Yes I know that there are lots of folks that feel the need to answer immediately. I personally don't like the constant interruptions that this entails. I may be a bit old fashioned Rolling Eyes but I'll call someone before starting a back and forth text session.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Smartphones and music [message #70264 is a reply to message #69786] Wed, 23 November 2011 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poltroon is currently offline  Poltroon
Chancellor
There are extended life batteries that you can buy. But, still, I think we all want to have one device to do lots of things. A phone is a phone, and basically that is all it really needs to do for me.
Re: Smartphones and music [message #70338 is a reply to message #69786] Wed, 30 November 2011 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
I know we are all looking for that one gadget that will do it all. Even though we can get tablets that do this, and phones that do that, they all have a major function. The other stuff is just an added bonus.
Re: Smartphones and music [message #70462 is a reply to message #69786] Thu, 15 December 2011 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love4music is currently offline  love4music
Baron
I use my smartphone all the time for music. I own a Droid Bionic and I don't ever have a problem with the battery. Then again I have a car charger and I charge my phone every day.
Re: Smartphones and music [message #70496 is a reply to message #69786] Sun, 18 December 2011 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LoveJB is currently offline  LoveJB
Master
What app makes the battery last longer? Playing music or surfing the net both uses a ton of my battery. I would be interested in knowing what app can help that and if it really works.
Re: Smartphones and music [message #70650 is a reply to message #69786] Tue, 27 December 2011 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
j0ann3 is currently offline  j0ann3
Baron
I find multi-purpose gadgets a real pain. It seems the more it can do, the less efficient it becomes. I'd recommend just using your phone as a phone and get an mp3 player for playing mp3's. xx

Joanne! xx
Previous Topic: Safe Headphones
Next Topic: CALM Act
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 09:03:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers