Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi and Crown XLS 1500
4Pi and Crown XLS 1500 [message #70357] Thu, 01 December 2011 22:16 Go to next message
48h350 is currently offline  48h350
Chancellor
Impressed with the sound of the 4Pi, i am now looking to improve the power availability from the amp.
At the moment they are running from a 70W Yamaha receiver.
I previously had an Harman Kardon receiver, but the DSP board fried and now it only works as a stereo amp.
The sound quality of the Harman ,is in my opinion better: it is a bigger and heavier amp with a bigger transformer and power supply.
Somehow I put in my head that a Crown XLS 1500 would be a good amp to get: plenty of Watts, light to freight from Parts Express (I live in Australia) multi voltage and multi frquency (240 V. 50Hz are the standard of the land of OZ) and cool to run due to the electrical efficiency of a class D amp.
I am asking opinions on my choice of direction and, in particular, opinions from owners of Crown XLS series amps.
Thanks for reading.
Re: 4Pi and Crown XLS 1500 [message #70359 is a reply to message #70357] Thu, 01 December 2011 23:34 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've run plenty of Crown amps over the years. Always loved 'em. They sound good and take an incredible amount of abuse. I still have a Microtech 2400 that has served me well for the last 20 years or so.

They do have fans though, as they're prosound amplifiers. So keep that in mind. If you listen at low levels, the fan may be distracting. It isn't loud, but it does make a noticeable sound.

Previous Topic: 4 pi plans
Next Topic: Plans for Pi 1 and Pi 2 to use as a center channel with my Pi 4 Stages
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:23:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio