Home » Audio » Radio » CB Radio
CB Radio [message #69861] Sun, 23 October 2011 07:46 Go to next message
Kripes is currently offline  Kripes
Chancellor
Does anyone recall Citizen's Band radio? Did anyone use it? I used to use it in the eighties when I lived in a remote part of Scotland and I could talk to people as far away as the Netherlands. Whatever happened to it?
Re: CB Radio [message #69868 is a reply to message #69861] Sun, 23 October 2011 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi I recall it quite well. But the advent and proliferation of cell phones has pretty much killed it in the US. Some activity exists, but it not mainstream any more. Also killed pretty much are the various types (and frequencies used) for hand held "walkie talkies". I kind of miss the highway chatter that was common on the CB.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: CB Radio [message #69871 is a reply to message #69868] Mon, 24 October 2011 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kripes is currently offline  Kripes
Chancellor
Of course, I should have realised that the mobile phone would have superseded the CB radio but I'm sure there must be enthusiasts out there still, like there are still ham radio operators. You can spot them because the mast on the roof had to be really long! Laughing
Re: CB Radio [message #70261 is a reply to message #69871] Tue, 22 November 2011 22:15 Go to previous message
lunkie is currently offline  lunkie
Chancellor
I was into CB radio big time back in high school, late 60's early 70's. Most of my friends that I have today are from CB radio. Most of them moved out of CB and in to ham radio in the mid / late 70's. I went into the military out of high school and did not have much interest in ham radio when I got out. But I am still friends with all my CB buddies to this day.

Lunk and the Low Notes
Previous Topic: All India Radio
Next Topic: Ham Radio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:19:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers