Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Vinyl LPs
Vinyl LPs [message #66357] Sun, 27 February 2011 09:32 Go to next message
PopcornAlley is currently offline  PopcornAlley
Chancellor
Do you still have any vinyl recordings? If so, which ones? Are there any albums you wish you could get now? In hindsight were there any albums you wish you still had today?
Re: Vinyl LPs [message #66361 is a reply to message #66357] Sun, 27 February 2011 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Not Really. The vinyl would have to be sourced from an album I knew to be recorded before high-bias tapes started coming around (about 1975)

When you have an album like that, the limitations of vinyl are pretty moot because the master tapes don't extend past around 12-16Khz.

I like 80's pop and that stuff was recorded all the way up to 22Khz and squashed when it got to vinyl and tapes.

But Yeah, every album I have in my library prior to this time would sound just as good, maybe better on vinyl because when they originally mixed the album they were expecting it to be pressed onto a record. You can't go back in time and tell Jimmy Page that he should turn the treble down or it will sound harsh in a few years when the vinyl isn't around to compress it, ya know?

Anything recorded on high-res tape, someone else can keep the vinyl. They can have their distorted lows and I'll keep my unattenuated highs Smile

Re: Vinyl LPs [message #70219 is a reply to message #66357] Sun, 20 November 2011 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DJ Dave is currently offline  DJ Dave
Viscount
Wow - I got rid of all of my vinyl albums a long time ago. I really wish I hadn't now, of course. I thought that they would be a useless thing of the past. I had quite a huge collection that would probably be worth a lot these days.
Re: Vinyl LPs [message #70220 is a reply to message #70219] Sun, 20 November 2011 08:57 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have a ton of vinyl. But not as much as some audiophiles I know. One of my friends has tens of thousands of records, enough to fill a large closet, ceiling to floor with shelves. It's still a favorite media for many people who consider it superior to digital media.

Previous Topic: Blu-ray
Next Topic: Daytime Judge Shows
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 03:16:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout