Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 6PI vs 7PI
6PI vs 7PI [message #70099] Fri, 11 November 2011 13:01 Go to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Wayne,

Could you please explain the sound differences between the two corner horns? Thanks.

Steve
Re: 6PI vs 7PI [message #70100 is a reply to message #70099] Fri, 11 November 2011 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Almost no difference. Above 100Hz, the two speakers are virtually identical in sound character and quality. Their directivity patterns are similar, their spectral balance is similar, in all respects, they are very much the same. The differences below 100Hz are swamped by room modes, which can be mitigated with multisubs.

The only difference is the woofer used. I get asked this a lot about the three π verses the four π speaker too, and the answer is pretty much the same. They sound very much the same. This is even more true for the constant directivity cornerhorns, because the woofer covers a smaller part of the range.

I tend to try and refrain from giving my subjective opinions on the comparisons between the JBL 2226 used in the four π and seven π speakers and the AE TD12S used in the three π and six π speakers. I just think too highly of each model. I don't hesitate to point out the benefits of the constant directivity cornerhorn configuration, and I also regularly encourage people to use midwoofers that have shorting rings, which is why I suggest the upgraded drivers over the stock ones. But once you get into the upgraded drivers, you're into the realm of what I consider to be the best speakers you can build or buy. It just doesn't get any better than that, each of these speakers are superb.

Re: 6PI vs 7PI [message #70101 is a reply to message #70100] Fri, 11 November 2011 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
I guess my follow up question is what is the difference in f3/ f10 between the two? I suspect the 6PI reaches a bit lower, and that is a small trade off for a bit lower efficiency.

Steve
Re: 6PI vs 7PI [message #70103 is a reply to message #70101] Fri, 11 November 2011 23:07 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It does have greater extension, but of course, in-room response under 200Hz is always so room specific. So understand that while anechoic response shows a deeper f3, in practice, you really are still best served with a couple of subs in addition to the cornerhorns to smooth room modes. However, if you are dead set against multisubs, you'll find the six π cornerhorn reaches deeper.

Previous Topic: 4Pi crossover question
Next Topic: Top portion of the 8Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 07:04:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout