Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3pi with Sonido SCW-300
3pi with Sonido SCW-300 [message #69968] Wed, 02 November 2011 08:50 Go to next message
chakija is currently offline  chakija
Chancellor
Hello kind people!
My name is Dragoslav and i live in Serbia.
I have been reading many post`s here and found them very interesting.
I recently got DE250, and H290 horns i have had for some time but with selenium compression drivers.
I want to use this sonido driver, as i find it very competent contender, and lot better than eminence delta`s.

It is also much easier for me to acquire them than AE drivers.
What i wanted to ask is will these woofers be suitable for this and what are your suggestions for crossover?

http://www.sonido.hu/adat_pdf/scw-300.pdf

Kind regards !
Re: 3pi with Sonido SCW-300 [message #69971 is a reply to message #69968] Wed, 02 November 2011 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There's no way to know how that driver will behave without testing it. I mean, the response below about 500Hz is generally pretty familiar - it acts just like T/S simulators predict with the exception of the potential of standing wave nodes inside the cabinet. Those sometimes make ripples in the lower midrange response, depending on driver and port location.

What's more a variable is the way it acts above 500Hz. The electro-mechanical properties like voice coil inductance have an effect, as do the radiation and flex characteristics of the cone. You really need to make measurements of the system to optimize the crossover. Here's how:
Re: 3pi with Sonido SCW-300 [message #70016 is a reply to message #69971] Fri, 04 November 2011 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Wayne, thank you for replying.
I guess that in order to make some measuring i will need to acquire drivers first Smile

I am still deciding should i go for a 15" version...
http://www.sonido.hu/adat_pdf/scw-400.pdf
Re: 3pi with Sonido SCW-300 [message #70029 is a reply to message #69968] Sat, 05 November 2011 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Wayne, here is diagram for SCW-300.
These babies goes pretty linear up to 3,5KHz.
I think this qualify them for a nice 3pi variation loudspeaker ?
  • Attachment: scw-300.jpg
    (Size: 137.74KB, Downloaded 573 times)
Re: 3pi with Sonido SCW-300 [message #70030 is a reply to message #70029] Sat, 05 November 2011 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's definitely a contender. You'll just need to go through the crossover design process. Should make for a good speaker!

Here are some suggestions on how to proceed:
Re: 3pi with Sonido SCW-300 [message #70046 is a reply to message #69968] Sun, 06 November 2011 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thank`s for useful inputs. Lots of reading though Smile.
Anyway, i got through most of your documents and i came to conclusion that for a starting point i should copy your 3pi crossover for AE woofer and B&C driver with same distance between centers.
Box for sonido driver that I want to use is cca 5,5sqft and plans are on their web page
http://www.sonido.hu/adat_pdf/diy-scw300-sfr175-box.pdf
So, i will need to adjust this floor standing box, and instead of FR driver i will use B&C and H290.
At first i wanted to make separate enclosures for horns, but after reading few suggestions that you gave to a DiY-ers i decided to build them into the box (more aesthetic for smaller WAF factor).
Could you please send me plans for 3pi so i could have something to start with, or should i spend more time reading ?

Re: 3pi with Sonido SCW-300 [message #70050 is a reply to message #70046] Mon, 07 November 2011 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!

Re: 3pi with Sonido SCW-300 [message #70309 is a reply to message #69968] Sun, 27 November 2011 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi Wayne !
Thank you very much for 3pi plans.
I have question regarding driver vertical central distance. According to plans this distance is around 232mm.
However, when i put this distance in CAD program, it looks that it is too narrow and that horn overlaps with woofer cutout ?
Am i doing something wrong ?
I bought crossover components and I tried to listen horn and compression driver with their crossover. It sounds pretty good, but still i could hear some "growl" in vocals...i hope that this anomaly will disappear when I add woofer and when DE250 burn in enough.
I also bought sonido woofers. They look and sound beautiful.
Driver alignment i now my biggest concern. I plan to put another piece of 20mm MDF behind the horns so voice coils are aligned horizontally (as you can see in picture)

index.php?t=getfile&id=641&private=0
  • Attachment: Capture.JPG
    (Size: 42.24KB, Downloaded 9807 times)
Re: 3pi with Sonido SCW-300 [message #70313 is a reply to message #70309] Sun, 27 November 2011 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking at, but the center-to-center spacing of the drivers in the three π loudspeaker is more like 285mm. The cabinet is approximately 765mm x 510mm and the center of the woofer is 355mm from the bottom. The center of the tweeter is 125mm from the top.

Also, I would not suggest aligning the voice coils if you plan to use my crossover. It is designed specifically for the spacing that is created when both the tweeter and woofer are baffle mounted, which creates some offset in their fore-aft positions. The crossover phase and baffle positions combine to create a perfectly centered forward lobe. If you move one of them, then the forward lobe will shift up or down, depending on the alignment of the drivers. You don't have to move either one too far to put a null right in your face.

Re: 3pi with Sonido SCW-300 [message #70314 is a reply to message #69968] Mon, 28 November 2011 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
Wayne, thanks again for you answer.
It seems that implementing this woofer will be pretty difficult Confused
Regarding your answer about baffle mounting, is it OK to take horizontal distance between AE12 and DE250 voice coils and than apply that same distance (with either baffle or flush mount) with scw-300?
Previous Topic: Two PI tweeter question
Next Topic: 2pi tower crossover: mono or biwiring?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:15:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio