Home » Audio » Home Theater » Thinking about trying the garage
Thinking about trying the garage [message #69965] Wed, 02 November 2011 03:02 Go to next message
Freddy is currently offline  Freddy
Viscount
I currently only have one car, and I wouldn't really mind parking it in the driveway. I think it would be great to set up a nice home theater in my garage. Has anyone here had success with this? I'd love to avoid learning any pitfalls the hard way.
Re: Thinking about trying the garage [message #69975 is a reply to message #69965] Wed, 02 November 2011 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Not exactly, but I did give it a lot of thought. The garage is about 24 feet long, 12 wide and around 11 high. Open 2X4s on the exterior wall. My plan was to partition off one end with a small 4X12 "room" so the equipment could be accessed from behind and would not intrude into the room except for the faces. The rest of things I did to a summer porch and would apply to the garage. I raised the floor on 2X6 beams on 12 inch centers supported every 24 inches on concrete posts (4 inch). The floor was Cris-crossed double layered 3/4 inch plywood. I wanted strength, but not a dead floor like the concrete would be. This was covered with a foam pad and carpet. The walls I insulted with R13 fiberglass faced with foil. The exterior wall was double layered with sheathing board over flake board (to cut down outside noise). Interior was was paneling. Ceiling was open rafters and I used R30 fiberglass with foil there. Then a sloped (1 in 10 pitch) suspended ceiling with sound absorbent tiles. I put in dedicated AC power to the room right off the circuit box and used an APC 1000 watt line conditioner/filter. Lighting and such was on a separate circuit. It was finished off with stuffed furniture and carefully placed wall coverings to manage the reflections.

All this was really great until my spouse decided she liked the room because it was quiet and warm feeling. So I started all over with the living room.... Rolling Eyes

The key things I learned on this are
Manage exterior noise
Build solidly
Watch out for reflective surfaces,
A non-parallel floor to ceiling was helpful
Either the rear or front wall should be non-reflective (the other should be the opposite)
Side walls can be somewhat reflective, but not too much
Have clean AC power
Don't use conventional fluorescent ceiling lights
Be careful not to have too much sound deadening

I hope this is useful. I would have a go at the garage. Mostly the right size and shape.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Thinking about trying the garage [message #69982 is a reply to message #69965] Wed, 02 November 2011 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
That is extremely helpful, thank you so much for all of the advice! I like many of your ideas. To start with, partitioning off a room so that the equipment doesn't intrude would be great. I was thinking many of the same things as you regarding the reflective surfaces, but you really gave me some detailed direction on that.

My wife has told me she's fine with this, so I really hope she doesn't change her mind! It wouldn't surprise me, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Razz
Re: Thinking about trying the garage [message #70003 is a reply to message #69982] Thu, 03 November 2011 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Glad to be of help. Just don't make it too nice or you will suffer my fate and have someone else snatch it. Smile

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Thinking about trying the garage [message #70018 is a reply to message #69965] Fri, 04 November 2011 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LoveJB is currently offline  LoveJB
Master
Wow, impressive. How much did it cost you to do all of that? I'm thinking that making your basement into a "home theater" would be cheaper and easier than turning your garage into one. Great tips though - very thorough!
Re: Thinking about trying the garage [message #70021 is a reply to message #70018] Fri, 04 November 2011 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, The cost was about $3500 in materials and it took around 3 months in my spare time (evenings and weekends)to do it. See the attached photos (room1) the current set up is room2. Not quite finished with the layout, but close. The rear wall (not shown) is about 75% open to the dining room which basically makes that the "soft" end of the listening area. The fireplace actually has a LED flat screen for a front so I can figure out what the CD player is doing. The big speakers are Altec Lansing "Magnificent" cabinets (unfortunately no drivers came with them at a local thrift shop) and are now 7 cubic foot vented subs (go to 22 HZ flat). The tall speakers are Martin Logan Vistas. Next to them are a set of Martin Logan Prefaces ( on the TV for sound on the rare occasion I watch anything). The equipment on the shelves are all my own designs and are the prototypes for the Oddwatt line of gear. Turntable is a modified Dual 701 with a Dynavector 10X5 re-tipped with a ruby cantilever by SoundSmith (awesome sounding). The CD is actually an Oppo83SE Blue Ray player (check them out - A list from Stereophile) I understand the new 93 and 95 series are even a little better.

In the old room ( Sad ) Most of the gear is the same but the 55 inch flat screen took over and now runs with a pair of Klipsch KG4 full range speakers I got at the thrift shop.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Thinking about trying the garage [message #70031 is a reply to message #70018] Sat, 05 November 2011 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
LoveJB wrote on Fri, 04 November 2011 20:13
Wow, impressive. How much did it cost you to do all of that? I'm thinking that making your basement into a "home theater" would be cheaper and easier than turning your garage into one. Great tips though - very thorough!

Having a home theater in a basement sounds like a fun idea too. I live in a part of the country where most homes don't have basements though. We get earthquakes, not tornadoes. Rolling Eyes

Bruce, those rooms look great, you definitely have a talent for this. I think what you spent is very reasonable considering everything you were able to get. Thanks again for the advice and the update regarding your equipment. As LoveJB said, you were very thorough!
Re: Thinking about trying the garage [message #70281 is a reply to message #69965] Fri, 25 November 2011 08:13 Go to previous message
Poltroon is currently offline  Poltroon
Chancellor
I know of a few "garage bands'. I also know people who turned their garage into a home movie theater. I just like my garage for my car, and that's it!
Previous Topic: Home Theatre Placement
Next Topic: Sony Internet TV Player is awesome!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 21:54:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio