Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Driver Removal
Driver Removal [message #69883] Mon, 24 October 2011 23:18 Go to next message
NWCgrad is currently offline  NWCgrad
Master
What is the best way to safely pull the woofer from the 4 Pi enclosure? The driver is flush mounted with the baffle with no room to grab the frame.

I received a soldering iron and solder from a co-worker and will repair the connector that was broken on a crossover during transnational shipping of the speaker.

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: Driver Removal [message #69888 is a reply to message #69883] Tue, 25 October 2011 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I use an Allen wrench to lift the woofer (or horn) from the mounting holes. Remove all the screws, and put a decent size Allen wrench in the hole. Tilt until it catches and lift out, basically using the wrench as a prybar.

Re: Driver Removal [message #69889 is a reply to message #69888] Tue, 25 October 2011 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tom-m is currently offline  tom-m
Baron
It will depend on how tight the woofer is in the recessed cutout. I had a woofer that was very snug. I could not get it out. I made a handle that stretched across the face of the woofer to pull it out. For a 15 inch woofer, you would need a piece of wood that is about 17 or 18 inches long. I used a wood screw at each end of the wood, to screw through the woofer frame. Then the wood bar acts like a handle to pull the woofer out. Not sure if my description is clear.

Re: Driver Removal [message #69893 is a reply to message #69883] Tue, 25 October 2011 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Had that same issue 10 years ago. Waynes method works, Toms may be necessary.

When the Allan wrench doesn't work, I reach for a screwdriver and a piece of 2x4. Ever since my first stuck woofer, I make certain the terminal plate is directly behind the woofer. In extremis, I can, and have, pushed on the back of the woofer to make it pop out.
Re: Driver Removal [message #69894 is a reply to message #69893] Wed, 26 October 2011 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Wayne, Tom and Bill,

Thanks for the advice, I am optimistic that the allen wrench will do the job as the woofer is not touching the edges of the cut out (~1/16th inch gap). If not, I am pretty sure I can pull the terminal plate and push it out as suggested by Bill.

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Re: Driver Removal [message #70060 is a reply to message #69888] Tue, 08 November 2011 00:19 Go to previous message
Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Tue, 25 October 2011 09:44

I use an Allen wrench to lift the woofer (or horn) from the mounting holes. Remove all the screws, and put a decent size Allen wrench in the hole. Tilt until it catches and lift out, basically using the wrench as a prybar.

Worked well once the driver frame broke free from the butyl rubber gasket I made. Repair on the broken terminal on the crossover complete!

VIRIBUS MARI VICTORIA
Previous Topic: drivers are a couple hours away
Next Topic: 8 Pi plans please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:25:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers