Home » Audio » General » New Use for Useless Record
New Use for Useless Record [message #69875] Mon, 24 October 2011 17:43 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, This could go here or under source as well. But it seems more of you look here than there. I needed a way to check the anti-skating on one of my turntables. I suspected the calibration might be off. Confused This is often done with a test record that has no grooves. I remembered that a long time ago I got one of those flat vinyl records in a magazine. The often square ones kind with only one side recorded. Sure enough it was in my pile of phono junk and still in good shape. I put it on the TT and started it to play and set down the needle. If the anti-skating is good it should mostly stay in the same location. If it pulls much in either direction then you can adjust the control to compensate. Sure enough the calibration was off. I was using 1.5 gram as the tracking force and the AS ended up at 1.1 to make it behave. It was sure cheaper than getting a $30 disk to do the same thing. Smile

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: New Use for Useless Record [message #69876 is a reply to message #69875] Mon, 24 October 2011 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Now that's a darn good idea!

Re: New Use for Useless Record [message #69909 is a reply to message #69876] Thu, 27 October 2011 09:18 Go to previous message
Kripes is currently offline  Kripes
Chancellor
What a good idea. It beats the other uses I have seen for old vinyl like melting them and turning them into fruit bowls or plant pot holders! Laughing
Previous Topic: Instruments
Next Topic: old PC speakers and ipod
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 19:47:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout