Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What center channel speaker with 7π's?
icon5.gif  What center channel speaker with 7π's? [message #69817] Sun, 16 October 2011 10:17 Go to next message
petew is currently offline  petew
Viscount
I have two perfect corners in my media room for 7π's. The wall is just a little over 17'. It's kind of hard to judge depth in the photo, but the screen is about 2' away from the wall. I intend to keep the area above the screen open to the windows for light and air when I'm not in blackout mode.
http://images.static-bluray.com/htgallery/67097.jpg

What would be a suitable center? Could I use a 7π mid horn and horn tweeter with a modified bass bin (or no bass bin)? I would replace the screen with an acoustically transparent version. Do you think the minimal framing required for the screen would adversely affect the performance of the corner horns?

Also, on the build photos, I see a lot of them built with plastic waveguides. Is that the same part for the 3π or 4π?
Re: What center channel speaker with 7π's? [message #69818 is a reply to message #69817] Sun, 16 October 2011 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

With the corners that close together, I'd probably not use a center channel. Imaging from constant directivity cornerhorns is magical in rooms like that. They're kind of like really large headphones, making the illusion of sound source locations spread throughout the room. It makes a great phantom center.

Centers are most important, I think, in large rooms with expansive wide screens, with right and left channels far apart. Then again, centers are really great for dialog when they're right, even if the right and left forward channels aren't too far apart. So I think it kind of boils down to whether or not it's worth it to you to move the screen forward enough to put a center speaker behind it.

I'm always somewhat conflicted about center channels. When they're right, they're excellent. The trouble is, they're almost never right. Most people have to compromise the center channel to make it fit, and I'd rather not have one at all than to have it compromised.

On the other hand, some have the luxury of making uncompromised center channels. That's an awesome experience. So if you have an acoustically transparent screen, by all means, install a matching center. If the sides are constant directivity cornerhorns, then use a three π center for six π mains or four π center for seven π mains.

Re: What center channel speaker with 7π's? [message #69830 is a reply to message #69818] Tue, 18 October 2011 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Would the cornerhorns be compromised by my existing screen? It's about 2' off the wall. The framework is very open, and the screen itself is blackout fabric stapled to a lightweight wood frame.

If the cornerhorns would work well in my room as is, I would consider building them and then add a four π center when I get around building an AT screen.
Re: What center channel speaker with 7π's? [message #69831 is a reply to message #69830] Tue, 18 October 2011 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Does the 7π kit include a waveguide or is the (gorgeous) wood waveguide required?
Re: What center channel speaker with 7π's? [message #69834 is a reply to message #69831] Tue, 18 October 2011 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

petew wrote on Tue, 18 October 2011 18:44
Would the cornerhorns be compromised by my existing screen? It's about 2' off the wall. The framework is very open, and the screen itself is blackout fabric stapled to a lightweight wood frame.

That's fine, they'll work perfectly well.

petew wrote on Tue, 18 October 2011 18:58
Does the 7π kit include a waveguide or is the (gorgeous) wood waveguide required?

Kits come with a plastic horn/waveguide that can be enclosed in a small cabinet that sits on top of the midhorn. The wood horn is an upgrade option that is usually mounted on a cradle on top of the midhorn, so the curves of the horn are exposed.

http://lonestaraudiofest.com/2007/Photos/DSCN2937.JPG

Re: What center channel speaker with 7π's? [message #69845 is a reply to message #69817] Fri, 21 October 2011 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Wayne

Please send plans for the 7 π when you get a chance.

Thank you very much
Re: What center channel speaker with 7π's? [message #69847 is a reply to message #69845] Fri, 21 October 2011 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!

Re: What center channel speaker with 7π's? [message #69850 is a reply to message #69847] Fri, 21 October 2011 21:03 Go to previous message
Viscount
Thanks for the plans Wayne. I've been assimilating the data...
Previous Topic: MDF
Next Topic: Painting MDF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 10:50:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout