Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Music system for an apartment building
Music system for an apartment building [message #67778] Sat, 21 May 2011 20:35 Go to next message
Drury is currently offline  Drury
Baron
My sister just moved into a new apartment and has noticed that sound really travels through the walls. She can hear music (and sometimes even loud conversation) from other tenants because of this.

Of course she doesn't want to return the favor! Is there anything you can do to reduce this effect from a regular sound system?
Re: Music system for an apartment building [message #67785 is a reply to message #67778] Sun, 22 May 2011 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I hate thin walls in apartments. She can minimize sound bleeding by putting something absorbent on the walls--either acoustic foam, blankets, decorative quilts, or tapestries.
Re: Music system for an apartment building [message #68180 is a reply to message #67778] Tue, 14 June 2011 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doppler is currently offline  Doppler
Chancellor
A friend of mine once stayed in an apartment that had this issue. Being a person who values her privacy so much, she had to do some sort of soundproofing. I think she applied vinyl barrier to her walls. For the floors, she laid rugs and carpets.
Re: Music system for an apartment building [message #69736 is a reply to message #67785] Fri, 07 October 2011 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brian21 is currently offline  brian21
Baron
audioaudio90 wrote on Sun, 22 May 2011 10:08
I hate thin walls in apartments. She can minimize sound bleeding by putting something absorbent on the walls--either acoustic foam, blankets, decorative quilts, or tapestries.

That's an interesting idea, I wonder how many people actually do something like this for their apartment. I can't imagine a lot of acoustic foam would look good to most people. The decorative stuff sounds good, but would it work well enough to make a large difference? I kind of wish I had tried something like this though, back when I lived in an apartment. I quickly gave up playing music loudly, with the exception of listening through headphones.
Re: Music system for an apartment building [message #73275 is a reply to message #67778] Fri, 13 July 2012 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
likearecordbaby
Baron
This is the plight of living in close quarters, unfortunately. Like others have said, you can try insulation, but really, a low volume and/or headphones are the only things that will truly minimize any complaints.
Re: Music system for an apartment building [message #73596 is a reply to message #69736] Thu, 16 August 2012 06:54 Go to previous message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
brian21 wrote on Fri, 07 October 2011 02:15
audioaudio90 wrote on Sun, 22 May 2011 10:08

That's an interesting idea, I wonder how many people actually do something like this for their apartment. I can't imagine a lot of acoustic foam would look good to most people. The decorative stuff sounds good, but would it work well enough to make a large difference? I kind of wish I had tried something like this though, back when I lived in an apartment. I quickly gave up playing music loudly, with the exception of listening through headphones.

Yes, acoustic foam is not the prettiest wall covering. However, it is far more effective than my other suggestions (although they will certainly help), so it just depends on where people opt to compromise on aesthetics versus efficacy.
Previous Topic: How to setup multiple subs
Next Topic: Bass transmitting to an adjacent house
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:50:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout