Home » Audio » LSAF » LSAF 2012
LSAF 2012 [message #69582] Fri, 23 September 2011 22:19 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Just curious what the powers that be have in store for us this spring?
Re: LSAF 2012 [message #69583 is a reply to message #69582] Sat, 24 September 2011 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The hotel setup a registration page for us, so we're set for the same hotel, first weekend in May 2012. We'll get to do those fun Cinco de Mayo parties in Dallas at LSAF again this year, since it's that same weekend.

At Uriah Dailey's request, I developed an IR remote control based on the AT2313 and AD5206. It can basically be the brains for a preamp, with five inputs and six channels set as three left and three right. The remote has power, input select, volume, balance and mute buttons. The processor reads both a remote control and frontpanel buttons for power, volume up, volume down, pan left, pan right and input select. Should have some of them at LSAF, probably one running in a Lighter Note in Uriah's room.

You might notice the AD5206 is a linear device, but I have programmed the processor's firmware to send a logarithmic sequence to it so the volume control has an audio taper. This sequence is actually (much) more accurate than even the most expensive potentiometers, making this device attractive to audiophiles that might have otherwise chosen stepped attenuators.

Re: LSAF 2012 [message #69584 is a reply to message #69583] Sat, 24 September 2011 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Very cool. Would one of these be compatible with a tube pre like a Podwatt? I would like to start working on a pre over the next year.
Re: LSAF 2012 [message #69586 is a reply to message #69584] Sat, 24 September 2011 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, absolutely. The AD5206 can be used in place of a stereo potentiometer. They are available is several popular values, e.g. 10KΩ, 50KΩ and 100KΩ. So you can use this anywhere you might use a 50KΩ pot, for example.

The switch inputs are just make/break connections to ground. So a pushbutton toggles power, another pushbutton advances input selection from 1 - 5 each time it is pushed. Then there are buttons for volume up/down and balance left/right. Or you can leave the front panel blank, and just use the remote as the only way to control the preamp.

The outputs (besides the volume, which is a variable potentiometer) are all digital outputs, intended to drive a (mechanical or solid state) relay. Each control line sources a maximum of 40mA, but I'd suggest limiting that to 20mA. If more current is needed, just drive a small signal transistor or something, like a 2N2222. Drive the base, tie the emitter to ground and the collector to one side of a relay coil. Hook the other side of the relay coil to Vcc. Easy peasy. The available output pins are power, select1, select2, select3, select4 and select5. Those select lines select the channel, which would be hooked to a switching device (relay) through the AD5206 potentiometer. Lots of flexibility there to work with.

Re: LSAF 2012 [message #69587 is a reply to message #69586] Sat, 24 September 2011 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
So what might be an estimated cost to set something like this up?
Re: LSAF 2012 [message #69588 is a reply to message #69587] Sat, 24 September 2011 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's not expensive. The remote control itself is a generic universal - just get any one you like. I prefer those that have the up/down and left/right buttons prominent, as opposed to the remotes that have vertically arrayed channel up/down and volume up/down. But any of them will work. Then there's the control board. I'd say by the time the boards are etched and deals are struck, it's probably going to be less than a hundred bucks for the completed control board.

Having said that, it's all still preliminary. The design is done, prototype is working. I can burn chips right now, and can probably have boards etched in less than a month. But I do need to figure out pricing and delivery model. I don't know if I'll make them available directly or just through OEMs. I have plenty of friends in the business that manufacture amps, preamps and kits, so it might make sense to make it available to them, and let them brand them and resell them. I need to work through all that first. Still, by LSAF, the business side should all be worked out.

Re: LSAF 2012 [message #69631 is a reply to message #69588] Tue, 27 September 2011 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, If I can work it I plan on bringing a pair of Martin Logan Vistas this year. They really shine with Oddwatts. By May we should have the final versions of the KT120 mono blocks as well as the all valve phono preamp. If not prototypes for sure. If you care to bring along an spare sub woofer, we would be happy to find a way to drive it. Razz I expect to do both vinyl and CD especially since I will have my re-tipped (ruby cantilever ) Dynavector back from Soundsmith by then.

Perhaps some other cool things Evil or Very Mad . may find there way to LSAF by May, lots are in the oven.

Like I mentioned in the the off line emails... keep me in mind on the remotes. They should be applicable to some of the kits.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: LSAF 2012 [message #70080 is a reply to message #69631] Wed, 09 November 2011 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, I have a prototype of the wireless preamp mentioned in the earlier posts (passive version only) and will bring it. Also to get the juices flowing we (Oddwatt) are planning on giving away a number of things this year. Initial plans include an "Alpha" amp, "T" Shirts and what ever else we think might be cool. It is a definite that the Series I KT120s will be there, the Martin Logan ESLs about 90% for sure, new phono preamp with my modded Dual 701 TT and the ruby re-tipped by Sound Smith Dynavector 10X5. Lots of other stuff as well including the new version of the Poddwatt and "Retro" Oddblocks (I really love mine - all octal tubes). Smile

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: LSAF 2012 [message #70082 is a reply to message #70080] Wed, 09 November 2011 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds like a great lineup, Bruce! And I'm really glad that RDAC remote control module is working out for you. I'm excited to see and hear your new gear!

Re: LSAF 2012 [message #70538 is a reply to message #69582] Wed, 21 December 2011 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I believe I've decided what I'll bring to the AudioFred DIY room for the 2012 LSAF. I haven't built any single driver full range speakers in some time, and I've ordered a pair of Mark Audio Alpair 10.2 full range drivers, which I plan to use in Jim Griffin's MLTL design, built out of Baltic birch plywood.

After a first listen I'll have to decide whether to add a baffles step compensation network. I prefer most single drivers with this, but it's upsetting to see the purists running from the room with their hands covering their ears repeating over and over again "must remain pure, must remain pure..."

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/Griffin-A10-MLTL-030611.pdf

index.php?t=getfile&id=656&private=0
Previous Topic: Speakers in the Odd Watt room?
Next Topic: LSAF 2013
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:12:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout